You can select your preferred language and location on YouTube using your computer or on mobile web. When using the YouTube mobile app, you can select your location. Language settings change the text that appears during videos.* The location you choose impacts the videos that surface for:
YouTube provides language and content preferences for all countries/regions and languages where YouTube is available. We're constantly expanding the ability for the product to reach more users. If you cannot find your language or country/region, select an option that is most appropriate for your needs and interests.
If YouTube can’t find your country/region, the default location is the United States.
*Note that in India, language settings change the videos that are shown on Home and Trending.
YouTube on smart TVs and game consoles
Open the YouTube app on your smart TV or game console.
- Select Settings .
- Select Language to choose a different language.
- Select Location to choose a different location.
Change the search language for your keyboard
You can also change the search language setting for the search keyboard:
- Open the YouTube app on your smart TV or game console.
- Select Search, then Choose a language.
The search keyboard supports the following languages:
Follow the instructions below for the YouTube app or mobile site.
- Tap your profile picture .
- Tap Settings .
- Tap Location.
- Select your country.
By default, the YouTube mobile site follows the language setting of your device. You can change the language and location settings on the mobile site.
- Go to your Account .
- Tap Settings .
- Tap Account.
- Tap Language to choose a different language.
- Tap Location to choose a different location.
YouTube on TV
- Click the Settings on the YouTube on TV app.
- Scroll to the “Language & Location” section.
- Select Language.
- Click Edit .
- Scroll to your selected language.
- Click Confirm Change.
Change language for email notifications
Your emails from YouTube are delivered in the default language for your country. If you've changed your YouTube language settings, you can change your email settings to match:
- Go to your email settings.
- Scroll to "Language" to update your email notification language.