In order to watch YouTube videos, make sure that you have the most up-to-date browser and operating system and a good Internet connection:
- Newest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge, Safari or Opera
- Internet connection with 500+ Kbps
Films and TV shows requirements
Some premium content on YouTube – like films, TV shows and live events – require a faster connection and greater processing power to ensure optimal streaming speeds. Here's what you'll need:
- Newest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge or Safari
- Operating system: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.7+ or Ubuntu 10+
- Internet connection with 1+ Mbps
It can help to close other tabs, browsers and programs while streaming your content. It may also help to hardwire your Internet connection, instead of using a wireless network connection.
The table below shows the approximate speeds recommended to play each video format.
|Recommended sustained speed|
|HD 1080p||5 Mbps|
|HD 720p||2.5 Mbps|
|SD 480p||1.1 Mbps|
|SD 360p||0.7 Mbps|