For certain Google Account activities, like sign-ups for Google products or services, transactions, or payment method changes, we may need to verify your identity or ownership of the payment method used. We may ask for your:
- Legal name
- The name used on your Payments profile
- Date of birth
You might also need to provide us with:
- An image of your Government ID
- Proof of address
- An image of your payment method
Tip: These steps are for people who must verify info to purchase Google products or services. To verify your identity in the Google Pay app, follow these instructions.
Why we might ask you to verify
- To verify that your information is correct to access certain content.
- To verify your identity to complete a transaction with Google.
- We noticed unusual activity or transactions.
- We need more information for legal or regulatory reasons.
Important: If we ask you to verify your account, any pending transactions are canceled. Pending charges on your bank statement disappear within 14 business days.
How we use your info
Google uses the info you provide to:
- Verify your identity or payment method.
- Protect against fraud and abuse.
- Improve verification services for Google products.
Your verified info, like your name and address, is stored with your Google Account and you can manage it at pay.google.com.
How to complete verification
You may be asked to submit documents or request a code to verify your info.Verify your payment method with a verification code
- Go to pay.google.com.
- Sign in to your account.
- At the top right, click Alerts Verify.
- If there are no alerts, click Payment methods.
- Next to the card that you want to verify, click Verify Get code.
- On your transaction history, you'll find a temporary charge of less than $1.95 USD called “GOOGLE.” The verification code is the last 6 digits.
- The amount varies by currency.
- You should get the code right away, but it can take up to 7 days.
- Tip: The charge or hold on your account is temporary. Charges are refunded within 30 days.
- To complete verification, return to your account and enter the 6-digit code.
To verify your identity or payment method, use the link in the verification request to find a list of accepted documents and instructions.
Make sure your documents:
- Use the same full name in all the documents you submit
- Are current and not expired
- Are legible
Make sure the image that you upload:
- Is an image of a document and not anything else
- Is legible
- Is in color, not in black and white
- Doesn’t have blur, glare, or dim light
- Shows the full document with all 4 corners
- Make sure your name, address, and payment info are up to date at pay.google.com.
- After you submit your documents, verification may take a few days.
- Go to pay.google.com.
- At the top, click Alerts .
- Click Verify now.
- To verify your identity, follow the on-screen instructions.
Fix issues with a verification codeLearn how to fix issues when you try to verify payment methods with a verification code.
Fix issues with document verification
- If you received an email or got an error message, follow the instructions in the message.
- If you need help from our team to help resolve the issue, we’ll contact you after we review your information.
If you failed verification, you'll receive an email shortly after the decision. To appeal the decision, follow the instructions in the email.