There are a few factors to consider when you’re uploading a video you want to monetize with ads.
Check for ad suitability during upload
You can use the checks page during upload to screen your video for ad suitability and copyright claims before publishing it. These checks help you learn about potential restrictions to monetization so you can adjust them before publishing.Copyright Takedowns & Content ID - Copyright on YouTube
How Self-Certification helps
With Self-Certification, all creators in the YouTube Partner Program have more control over monetization decisions. You can also see the expected monetization status and revenue potential in real time.
For creators with a high accuracy rating history: We’ll use your input for the initial monetization decision. Then you can publish and monetize your video immediately after you upload it. If our systems find any discrepancies with your rating, there’s a small chance it could change. Most discrepancies are found within one hour.
For creators that are new to Self-Certification or have a low accuracy rating history: We’ll rely more on our automated systems for monetization decisions. There’s also a ‘checking’ monetization icon to make it clear when a review is still in progress. Videos can’t be monetized with ads until system checks are complete.
To check your rating history, check out - Understand your rating status.
Understand our monetization icons
Here are what the different icons mean:
- Green: Monetization is “on”, and the video is ready to publish.
- Yellow: Your content can run limited or no ads from all advertisers. You can either publish, edit the video and re-upload it, or request a human review of your content.
- Red: You turned on monetization, but because there’s a copyright claim on the video, it can’t be monetized. Sometimes, you can file a dispute.
- Gray: You chose not to turn on monetization for this video.
- Checking: System checks are still running. You can still make a video public while checks are running, but we recommend waiting for it to complete before publishing. To maximize revenue, wait until this icon is replaced with either a green, yellow, or red icon, which means the check is complete.
Note that most creators won’t see this ‘checking’ icon because our systems are typically quick, or we’ve relied on your Self-Certification input.
Learn more about what each icon means in our monetization icon guide.