Common troubleshooting steps
Check that your membership hasn’t expired
Make sure your YouTube Premium membership has not expired. In the YouTube app, tap your profile picture Paid memberships and scroll down to Manage.
If you recently lost access to YouTube Premium and then re-subscribed, note that it will take a few hours for saved videos to become available again once you've re-subscribed. If you need to watch a video right away, tap More and select Retry download.
Try signing into YouTube Premium again
Make sure that you're signed in to the account associated with your YouTube Premium membership.
- Try signing out and signing back in to the account associated with YouTube Premium.
- Check that you see the YouTube Premium logo (instead of the YouTube logo) in YouTube.
Check YouTube Premium availability in your location
Check your background playback settings
Update your YouTube app
Make sure that you're using the latest version of the YouTube app. Visit your device's app store and check if you have any pending updates for the YouTube app.
If you have a new phone, or you've recently restored your phone, it may include an old version of the YouTube app (e.g., versions below 12.0 are considered outdated).
Check your phone's mobile data settings
Additional steps to try
Verify that no other apps are playing audio
Restart the YouTube app or reboot your device
Check the strength of your internet connection
Check your phone's notification settings
Check that you haven't blocked all notifications for the YouTube app. You can confirm this within your device settings. If you've blocked notifications, the YouTube app might not be able to run smoothly and/or access the internet in the background.
If this happens, you'll need to re-enable YouTube notifications at the OS level and, if you still don't want to receive notifications, you can disable them from the YouTube app settings.
Contact support & submit product feedback
- Please specify whether the sound stops right when you leave the app, or whether it plays for some time but then stops unexpectedly.
- Please specify any error messages you see when you return to the app.
- Please submit in-app feedback.
- You can also submit in-product feedback. You won't get a response, but your feedback will be shared with the YouTube Product teams.
- To do this, select your profile photo Feedback .
- Make sure to check the box for "System logs." This helps us better understand your issue.