Ads on live streams
If your channel is enabled for monetization, YouTube will trigger ads to serve on your content, if eligible. Ad serving is not guaranteed and some viewers may not see an ad. Live streams can be eligible for:
- Pre-roll ads run before the live stream, viewable on mobile and a computer.
- Mid-roll ads run during the live stream, can be manually inserted during computer streams.
- Display and overlay ads run beside or over content, viewable on a computer.
Learn more about triggering mid-rolls ads
- Open YouTube Studio.
- Click Create Go live.
- Start a live stream now from the Stream tab or schedule a live stream from the Manage tab.
- From the top, click Settings Monetization.
- Choose a monetization setting.
- Click Save.
To play an ad during you stream, tap Insert Ad from the top right.
Before you start your stream:
- Turn on monetization: Edit Monetization turn on Monetize with ads. Sync to preview: In the Live Control Room Sync to preview player. Note: This option must be synced before the stream is started.
- Start the Preview player.
- Click Start Streaming once and the preview is playing.
- In the Live Control Room under the Preview player, click Insert.
- Under Monetization, click Monetize with ads.
- Click Play ad.
After you click Play Ad, we'll try to display a video ad to as many viewers as we can. Ads will not play on your stream dashboard. Ads may not play if you're watching your own stream on the watch page. Some viewers may not get an ad, so you should keep streaming!
If eligible, ads are triggered to serve within seconds. It is not guaranteed that all viewers will get an ad. These viewers will continue to see your live stream.
If a viewer skips the ad or the ad ends, they will rejoin the live stream.