Monetise your live stream
Ads on live streams
If your channel is enabled for monetisation, YouTube will trigger ads to serve on your content, if eligible. Ad serving is not guaranteed and some viewers may not see an ad. Live streams can be eligible for:
- Pre-roll ads run before the live stream, viewable on mobile and desktop.
- Mid-roll ads run during the live stream, can be manually inserted during desktop streams.
- Display and overlay ads run beside or over content, viewable on desktop.
Learn more about triggering mid-rolls ads
Before you start your steam:
- Enable monetisation: Edit > Monetisation > toggle Monetise with ads. Sync to preview: In the Live Control Room > Sync to preview player. Note: This must be synced before the stream is started.
- Start the Preview player.
- Click Start Streaming once and the preview will play.
- In the Live Control Room under the Preview player, click Insert.
- Under Monetisation, click Monetise with ads.
- Click Play ad.
After you click Play Ad, we will try to display a video ad to as many viewers as we can. Ads will not play on your Live dashboard or Live Control Room. Ads may not play if you are watching your own stream on the watch page. Some viewers may not receive an ad, so you should keep streaming!
If eligible, ads are triggered to serve within seconds. It is not guaranteed that all viewers will receive an ad. These viewers will continue to see your live stream.
If a user skips the ad or the ad ends, they will rejoin the live stream.