Ads on live streams
If your channel is enabled for monetisation, YouTube will trigger ads to serve on your content, if eligible. Ad serving is not guaranteed and some viewers may not see an ad. Live streams can be eligible for:
- Pre-roll ads run before the live stream, viewable on mobile and a computer.
- Mid-roll ads run during the live stream, can be manually inserted during computer streams.
- Display and overlay ads run beside or over content, viewable on a computer.
Learn more about triggering mid-rolls ads
- Open YouTube Studio.
- Click Create Go live.
- Start a live stream now from the Stream tab or schedule a live stream from the Manage tab.
- From the top, click Edit Monetisation.
- Choose a monetisation setting.
- Click Save.
To play an ad during your stream, tap Insert Ad from the top-right.
If eligible, ads are triggered to serve within seconds. It is not guaranteed that all viewers will get an ad. These viewers will continue to see your live stream.
If a viewer skips the ad or the ad ends, they will rejoin the live stream.