In select emerging markets, viewers will be able to share offline content between devices that are near each other (in the same room). This lets users share their favorite videos with friends without needing a fast connection on their devices.
When a viewer receives a video that's been shared, they won't be able to play it until their device checks in with the YouTube server and confirms eligibility. Once confirmed, a unique security key is downloaded to enable playback.
Note: Private videos and paid content can't be shared this way.
Opt in or out of offline sharing
To opt your content in or out of offline sharing for emerging markets, use the steps below. This setting applies to all the videos managed by the Content Owner.
- Go to your Content Owner account.
- Select the Content Settings tab.
- Turn Offline nearby sharing on or off.
Check offline content metrics
You can see offline watch time and views for your content by country in YouTube Analytics:
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- In the top right, click your account icon > Creator Studio.
- In the left menu, select Analytics > Traffic sources.
- In the list of traffic sources under the graph, select Other YouTube features.
- In the list of traffic sources, select Offline.