YouTube Giving allows creators to support the charitable causes they care about. Eligible channels can fundraise for nonprofits by adding the donate button to their videos and live streams. Viewers can donate directly on the video watch page or in live chat.
Creator & fundraiser FAQs
Who is eligible to fundraise for YouTube Giving?
To set up a giving fundraiser, your channel has to meet the following requirements:
- Channel is located in United States, United Kingdom, or Canada
- Channel has at least 10k subscribers
- Channel is a part of the YouTube Partner Program
- Channel is NOT designated as made for kids
Note: You may see fundraising on some channels outside the above eligibility criteria. We plan to make YouTube Giving more broadly available in the future.
I see that I have access to YouTube Giving. How do I set it up?
What if I don’t see the donate button after I created a fundraiser?
Below are some of the reasons why the donate button may not appear on your fundraiser:
- Make sure you’ve set up a YouTube Giving fundraiser.
- If the fundraiser has a start date, the donate button will appear on your watch page or live chat after the fundraiser start date.
- If you’re fundraising on a live stream and have live chat turned on, you’ll see the donate button in the chat on mobile. Mobile devices must be in portrait mode to see the live chat. Learn more about live chat donations.
- If you set your video or channel to made for kids, the donate button will be removed.
What are community fundraisers?
What happened to Super Chat for Good?
Super Chat for Good is now Live Chat Donations. Creators will still be able to host fundraisers on their live streams, and viewers will still be able to donate directly from the chat window. Super Chat and Super Stickers will be turned off for live streams with donations to avoid confusion. With Live Chat Donations, you can monitor viewer donations in Live Control Room with the Viewer Activity Widget
To enable Live Chat Donations, add your scheduled live stream to your fundraiser. Learn how to set up a YouTube Giving fundraiser
. Live streams with live chat will have the donate icon
in the chat. Live streams without live chat will have a donate button next to or below the stream.
Can I still monetize on videos or live streams that have a fundraiser?
Ads will not be impacted when you add a fundraiser to your videos and live streams. To avoid confusion, Super Chat and Super Stickers aren’t available on live streams with Live Chat Donations. Creators can't host a members-only live chat in combination with the donate button.
How do nonprofits get the donations?
Google partners with Network for Good to collect and distribute the donations at Google’s request. 100% of your contribution goes to the nonprofit and YouTube will pay transaction fees. As required by the U.S. IRS, Network for Good has exclusive legal control over the donations once received. Please note, if Network for Good cannot disburse the funds to the nonprofit selected by the YouTube creator, Network for Good will distribute the funds to an alternate qualified U.S. nonprofit. Learn more about how Network for Good disbursements work
What if the nonprofit designated to receive my donation becomes ineligible?
How do I see donations in my live chat?
If Network for Good, Google's donor advised fund partner, is unable to distribute funds for a project to the intended nonprofit for any reason (including that the nonprofit is not a valid United States 501(c)(3) organization), Google will work with Network for Good to select an alternate qualifying nonprofit.
What nonprofits are eligible to be fundraised for with YouTube Giving?
What do the amount total and progress bar represent?
The amount total represents the funds raised for that fundraiser in total, from all channels and videos participating in the fundraiser. You can find the total amount and/or progress bar under the Donate button.
Where can I find analytics about my fundraiser?
To find analytics about your fundraiser:
- Sign into YouTube on a computer.
- Go to YouTube Studio.
- Go to Monetization.
- Select Giving.
- Under “Total Raised,” you’ll see basic fundraiser data next to campaigns you have joined or created.
- Hover over the amount raised with your mouse to see more details about your fundraiser.
To be eligible to receive money from a YouTube Giving fundraiser, a nonprofit must:
Note: Private foundations are not currently supported.
What if I don’t see the nonprofit I want to request in the request tool?
Below are some reasons why the nonprofit you are searching for may not be appearing in the request tool:
- The nonprofit is not a part of Google for Nonprofits. The nonprofit can request a Google for Nonprofits account.
- The nonprofit is not a Guidestar registered US-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Look them up on guidestar.org to confirm the nonprofit is there.
- The nonprofit has opted out of online fundraising. Nonprofits must give the OK for people to fundraise for them online. Learn more about raising money as a nonprofit on YouTube.
I requested a nonprofit that I want to support. How long will it take to add?
After you’ve submitted your eligible nonprofit
, we’ll send you an email to let you know the status of your request. Some requests can take up to 5 business days. To help move things along make sure the nonprofit you’re requesting meets the eligibility criteria
How are funds distributed to Nonprofits?
We partner with Network for Good, a U.S. 501(c)(3) and donor advised fund, who collect and distribute the funds to the nonprofits. Typically Network for Good disperses funds on a monthly basis. If less than $10 was raised, the funds will be dispersed annually. Learn more about fund disbursement and Network for Good
How can I learn more about Google for Nonprofits?
How can I learn more about raising money as a nonprofit on YouTube?
I see a donate button on a video watch page. How does that work?
What are Live Chat Donations?
Which countries/regions can donate to a YouTube Giving fundraiser?
When a creator adds a fundraiser to a live stream or premiere with live chat enabled, viewers will see the donate button appear in the live chat. When a viewer donates with Live Chat Donations, they can choose to add their name to their donation in the live chat. Learn more about Live Chat Donations
You can currently make donations if you're located in the following countries/regions:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
Is my donation tax deductible?
See donor tax information based on location here
How much of my donation will reach the nonprofit?
100% of the money you donate will go to the nonprofit. YouTube also covers credit card transaction fees.
Can I get a refund on my donation?
Voluntary donations to nonprofits are non-refundable. If you're having trouble making a payment, you may contact our support team.
What information do you share with the nonprofits when I make a donation?
What are user, company, and offsite donations?
When you make a donation, your contact information isn’t shared with the non-profit or creator. If you choose to make a “public” donation when giving on live chat, the creator hosting the live stream can see your account name and how much you’ve donated. Learn more about how your information is used
How does company matching work?
- User donations: Funds contributed by YouTube users.
- Company donations: Funds contributed by YouTube or another company, as verified by the nonprofit.
- Offsite donations: Funds collected by the organizer and verified by the nonprofit on a site other than YouTube as part of this campaign.
If a company has pledged to match donations, they’ll donate $1 for every $1 contributed to a fundraiser via the YouTube Donate button. This will continue until the full match is met or the end of the campaign, whichever comes first.