With YouTube Premium, you can watch millions of videos without interruptions by ads before and during a video, including video overlay ads. You will also not see third-party banner ads and search ads.
You may still see branding or promotions embedded in the content by the creator and promotional links, shelves and features in and around the content that are added or enabled by the creator. These links, shelves and features could be for their website, merchandise, membership to their channel, event tickets or other related destinations that they are promoting.
Ad-free videos are supported across all devices and platforms where you can sign in with your Google Account – including on compatible smart TVs/gaming consoles and the YouTube, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids mobile apps, if they're available in your location.
Download videos and playlists to watch offline when you aren't connected to the Internet. You can download videos to watch offline using the YouTube or YouTube Music app (and watch auto-downloaded videos in the YouTube Kids app) if these apps are available in your location and you're signed in with your YouTube Premium account.
Play videos on your mobile device while using other apps or when your screen is off. Background play is available on YouTube, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location) when you're signed in with your YouTube Premium membership account.
Customise or turn off background play
Background play is available on YouTube mobile apps when you're signed in with your YouTube Premium membership account. By default, videos will always play in the background.
To change or turn off background play:
- Go to Settings .
- Select Background play under 'Background and downloads'.
- Make your selection:
- Always on: Videos will always play in the background (default setting).
- Off: Videos will never play in the background.
- Headphones or external speakers: Videos will only play in the background if your device is connected to headphones, speakers or an external audio output.
Picture-in-picture (PiP) lets you watch videos while using other apps on your mobile device. You can use PiP to watch all videos with a YouTube Premium membership. If you don't have YouTube Premium and you're in the US, you can still use PiP except on certain content such as music videos.
Learn more about how to use picture-in-picture on your mobile device.
You also get access to YouTube Music Premium as part of your benefits. With YouTube Music Premium, you can:
- Enjoy millions of songs and videos in YouTube Music without ads.
- Download songs and videos to your mobile device for offline listening.
- Use background play to keep your music playing while you use other apps.
- Turn on audio-only mode to listen to music without loading the video.