Using YouTube Red benefits
Your YouTube Red membership includes several benefits to help you amplify your YouTube experience. Learn more about these benefits and how to customize your membership below.Ad-free videos
With YouTube Red, you can watch millions of videos without ads. This includes ads before and during a video, as well as banner ads, search ads, and video overlay ads. You may still see branding or promotions embedded in creators' content that isn't controlled by YouTube. Ad-free videos are supported across all devices and platforms where you can sign in with your YouTube account—including on compatible smart TVs/gaming consoles and the YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps, if they're available in your location.
Enjoy ad-free music in the YouTube Music app, as well as a subscription to Google Play Music at no extra cost. Note that both Google Play Music and YouTube Red must be available in your location for this to work.
Save videos and playlists to watch offline when you aren’t connected to the internet. Save offline is available on the YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location) when you're signed in with your YouTube Red membership account.
Save videos offline
- Start watching a video on the YouTube or YouTube Gaming mobile app.
- Tap add to offline below the video player (under the DETAILS tab in the YouTube Gaming app)
- Select the video quality.
- The available offline icon will appear below the video player when successfully saved. For iOS users, the video will save once you stop watching.
You can view your saved videos under the Account tab .
To remove a saved video, tap available offline and select Remove.
Change offline saving settings
By default, videos and playlists can be saved offline only when connected to a Wi-Fi network. To save videos offline over a mobile network, go to Settings and turn off Save over Wi-Fi only under "Background & Offline."
Set offline video quality
To change the default quality for saving videos, go to Settings and select Quality under "Background & Offline." Higher quality videos may take longer to save offline and may use more storage space on your device.
If less than 5% of storage space is available on your device, you won't be able to add additional videos to offline. To free up additional space, try removing a saved video or playlist.
Access videos offline
- You must be signed into your YouTube Red account to save videos to watch offline.
- Some actions, like commenting and liking, are not available while viewing videos offline.
- Videos will remain offline for up to 30 days.
- Some content may not be available offline when you reconnect to the Internet due to content restrictions from video creators.
- If your device loses connectivity while saving a video or playlist offline, it will automatically resume when you reconnect to a mobile or Wi-Fi network.
Play videos while using other apps or when your screen is off. Background play is available on YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids mobile apps (if these apps are available in your location).
Customize or disable background play
Background play is available on YouTube mobile apps when you are signed in with your YouTube Red membership account. By default, videos will always play in the background.
To change or disable background play:
- Go to Menu > Settings .
- Select Background Play under "Background & Offline".
- Make your selection:
- Always on: Videos will always play in the background (default setting).
- Off: Videos will never play in the background.
- Headphones or external speakers: Videos will only play in the background if your device is connected to headphones, speakers, or an external audio output.