In select areas, you can download certain videos from the YouTube mobile app to play offline.
The features described in this article are available in the locations listed below. If YouTube Premium is available in your location, you can watch downloaded videos on your mobile device by becoming a YouTube Premium member. If you are a YouTube Premium member, learn how to manage your download settings.
YouTube may not be available in the following locations and therefore may not operate in these territories. We're working to launch more territories and bring a localized version of YouTube to more countries/regions.
Download videos to watch offline
If you're in one of the countries/regions listed above, you can download certain videos from the YouTube mobile app to watch offline. These videos will be available for up to 48 hours. After that, you'll need to reconnect your device to a mobile or Wi-Fi network every 48 hours. Reconnecting will allow the app to check for changes to the video or its availability.
- Go to the video Watch page.
- Below the video, tap Download or tap More Download.
- Once the video is downloaded, Downloaded will turn blue below the video.
If your device loses connectivity as you’re downloading a video or playlist, your progress will resume automatically when you reconnect to the internet.
Note: In some countries/regions, non-music content can be played for up to 29 days without requiring an internet connection. You'll need to reconnect to the internet at least once every 29 days after.
Learn more about YouTube offline videos.
View and remove downloaded videos
Remove individual videos
To view videos or playlists that have been downloaded, tap Downloads in the Library tab of the YouTube mobile app.
You can remove videos you've downloaded in two ways:
- Tap Downloaded below the video you'd like to remove.
- Select Delete.
- Go to the Library tab in the YouTube mobile app.
- Tap Downloads.
- Tap More next to the video you'd like to remove.
- Select Delete from downloads.
Remove all downloaded videos
You can view and delete the videos you've downloaded with the following steps:
- Tap your profile picture Settings .
- In Settings, tap Background & downloads Delete all downloads.
- Tap Delete in the dialog below "Delete all downloaded videos and playlists?"
Update Download settings
By default, videos are downloaded on iOS devices through Wi-Fi only while other devices download over both Wi-Fi and cellular data. To allow videos or playlists to be downloaded over mobile networks, tap your profile picture Settings Background & downloads and turn off Download over Wi-Fi only.
Set the default quality of your downloads by going to Settings Background & downloads Download quality. Higher-quality videos may consume more data, take longer to show in the Downloads section, and take up more space on your device.
To view how much space you have left on your device for downloadable content, tap your profile picture Settings Background & downloads in the app. If you have less than 5% of storage space remaining on your device, you can't download more videos. To free up extra space, try removing existing downloads or other content stored on your device.
Some videos are unavailable for offline playback. In most countries/regions, if a video is unavailable for offline playback, Download will be unavailable.
- In India, starting October 29, 2020, users will need a YouTube Premium subscription to download T-Series Music.
- In South Africa and India, videos on YouTube (not including Shows & Movies for purchase) will be available for download. But, some will require a YouTube Premium membership to move forward.
- For these videos, if you're not yet a member, tapping Download will ask you to sign up for YouTube Premium. As a YouTube Premium member, you can download the video.
Downloaded videos can be played offline for up to 48 hours. After that, you'll need to reconnect your device to a mobile or Wi-Fi network every 48 hours. Reconnecting will allow the app to check for changes to the video or its availability. If a video is no longer available for offline playback, it will be removed from your device during the next sync.
You must be signed in to download videos. Videos or playlists that are added to Downloads can be played while signed in with the same account. Some features, like commenting and liking, are only available when your device is connected to a mobile or Wi-Fi network.
There will be a list of recommended content on the Downloads page below any videos you’ve already downloaded. There may also be a panel pop-up at the bottom of your screen when we have new download recommendations.
To download recommended videos, tap Download .
Recommended downloads won’t be automatically saved to your device, nor use any of your storage, unless you tap Download to save them. If you tap Download while you’re offline, the video will be downloaded the next time you connect to a network approved for downloads.
If you want to opt out of getting download recommendations:
- Tap your profile picture .
- Tap Settings Background & Downloads.
- Turn off Recommend Downloads.