Add cards to videos
You can use cards to make your videos more interactive. Cards can have polls, links to other channels, and more.
Add cards to a video
To add cards to a video, follow the steps below. Up to a total of 5 cards can be added to one video.
- On a computer signed in to your account, go to your Video Manager.
- Find the video you want to add cards to and select Edit.
- In the tab bar at the top, select Cards.
- Select Add card and choose what type of card you want.
- Next to the type of card you want to add, select Create.
- If you haven't done so previously, for some link types select Enable first to accept the Terms & Conditions.
- Enter the URL where you want viewers to be sent from the card.
- Upload an image or select one of the suggestions from the site if applicable. Uploads need to be in .jpg, .gif, or .png format and no larger than 5MB. Keep in mind that this image will be cropped to be square.
- If applicable, edit the title, call to action, and any other text (up to 30 characters). You can change the start time for the card teaser in the timeline below the video.
- Select Create card.
If you need to edit your cards in the future, just go to the Cards tab and select Edit next to the card you want to change.
Watch the video below from TeamYouTube to learn more about cards.
Types of cards
Here are the different types of cards that you can use to customize your content. You can also use YouTube Analytics to get performance reporting for cards.
Link to a channel that you'd like to call out to your viewers. For example, you could use a card to thank a channel that contributed to your video. You could also use a channel card to recommend another channel to viewers.
Associated website cards
Link directly to your associated website from your video. You need to add an associated website to your account to use this card.
Link viewers directly to your creative projects on one of these approved crowdfunding URLs.
Promote licensed merchandise directly from your video. Make sure your URL is on the list of approved retailer URLs.
Engage with your viewers by presenting them with a poll and let them vote on different options. Learn how to use cards to poll your viewers.
Link to another public YouTube video or playlist that viewers might be interested in. You can choose to link to a specific time in a video.
How viewers can interact with cards
Cards are designed to complement videos and enhance the viewer experience with relevant information. As the system evolves, we plan to improve it to show the most relevant teasers and cards based on performance, viewer behavior, and the device they're using.
How viewers get to cards
- When a viewer is watching your video, they'll see a teaser for the time that you designate.
- When the teaser isn't showing, viewers can hover over the player and click the card icon . On mobile, viewers can see the card icon whenever the player controls are showing.
- When they click the teaser or the icon, they can browse all of the cards on the video.