Watch YouTube on TV (Older device models)
Watch and discover YouTube content on your TV using the television-optimized YouTube app.
This article includes information about the YouTube TV flash app available on older device models.
Learn more about YouTube apps for TV.Sign in to access YouTube features
Step 1: Find the activation code and sign in
- Navigate to the Sign in screen in the YouTube app and stay on this screen until you've completed the remaining steps.
- Visit youtube.com/activate on your computer or mobile device.
- Sign in when prompted. If you have multiple Google accounts, please select the account you use with YouTube. If you're already signed in, skip to the steps below.
Step 2: Select your channel
After signing in, you may be presented with a list of Google identities associated with your account. This list includes:
- Your account's personal identity. If you have a Google+ profile, it's your name; otherwise, it's your email address.
- Any Google+ pages managed by your account. These will show up whether or not they are linked to a YouTube channel. Be sure to select a Google+ page that is linked to a YouTube channel. If you select a Google+ page that doesn't have a YouTube channel, you won't be able to sign in.
Step 3: Complete the activation process
- Once you've selected an account, enter the activation code shown in the YouTube app on your TV.
- Click Allow access and wait for the confirmation screen in the app.
Learn more about Google Identities on YouTube.
Once you select a video to play, a player control bar will appear allowing you to perform the following actions:
|Home||Return to the home screen|
|Search||Find a new video to watch.|
|Play / Resume||Play or resume the video.|
|Fast forward||Fast forward by 10 seconds.|
|Rewind||Rewind by 10 seconds.|
|Captions||If the video has captions, select this to view the video’s closed captions.|
|Flag||Flag the video for inappropriate content.|
When playing a video, you can find additional options selecting Info. From here, you can perform the following actions:
- See the video description, view count, and length
- Subscribe to the video channel
- Rate the video
- Add the video to an existing playlist
Select the Search icon to find YouTube videos. Use the navigation keys to scroll through your subscriptions, recommended videos, playlists and more.
You can also use the Send to TV feature to search for videos from a separate device.
Learn more about paid content on smart TVs.