Live caption requirements
Closed captions refer to the visual display of the audio in a program. In order to add captions to your live event, you need to send captions to YouTube either embedded in the video or through supported software that can send captions over HTTP POSTs.
For live events that appear on US television with captions, captions may be required online as well. You may wish to review the FCC's information on this here: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/captioning-internet-video-programming
Create your Event as you normally would. You must be using the YouTube Live platform.
- At the bottom of the Ingestion Settings tab, there is a Closed Caption section. Select the Embedded 608/708 item in the dropdown menu.
- Hit Save.
- In your encoder settings choose EIA 608/CEA 708 captions, sometimes called “embedded” captions. Depending on your setup, this may read captions from a specific file format or encode them in real time. While the 608/708 standard supports up to 4 language tracks, YouTube currently only supports one track of captions.
(Requires working with one of our supported software, listed below)
- After creating the event, be sure to add a 30s or 60s broadcast delay in the Advanced settings tab.
- At the bottom of the Ingestion Settings tab, there is a Closed Caption section. Check the box for Enable captions (requires supported software).
- Click in the Caption Ingestion URL box to select all and copy it. This is a signed HTTP URL.
Each stream entry point can have one caption feed only.
- Provide this URL to your captioner to enter in their YouTube-supported caption software.
- Hit Save.
- Total Eclipse
- You will need Eclipse/AccuCap 22.214.171.124 or greater in order to use this feature.
- Contact tech support (firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-800-1759) for installation and usage instructions.
- Case CATalyst
- You will need Case CATalyst BCS version 14.52 or greater in order to use this feature.
- Contact tech support (1-800-323-4247 or 630-532-5100) for installation and usage instructions.
- Caption Maker
- You will need CaptionMaker version 5.22 or later to use this feature.
- Contact tech support for installation and usage instructions.
- Cloud based caption delivery system that is compatible with all speech to text platforms.
- Please contact support email@example.com for instructions.
If you are a closed caption vendor and would like to learn more about YouTube closed captions over HTTP, fill out this form