If you’re having problems playing your YouTube video, try these troubleshooting steps to solve your issue. Some of the most common error messages are:
- An error has occurred.
- Playback error. Tap to retry.
- Connection to server lost.
- This video is unavailable.
- Something went wrong. Tap to Retry.
- Please check your network connection (Retry).
- This content isn’t available
Check your internet speed
- Restart your internet connection.
- Run an internet speed test to make sure your internet can support the selected video resolution. You can also change the quality of your video to improve your experience. Note: Using multiple devices on the same network may reduce the speed that your device gets.
- Check the YouTube video’s resolution and the recommended speed needed to play the video. The table below shows the approximate speeds recommended to play each video resolution.
Check that you’re signed into YouTube
Make sure you’re signed into YouTube.
Restart the YouTube app or reboot your device
Try closing the YouTube app or rebooting your device. You can also uninstall and reinstall the YouTube app.
Update your browser
Update the YouTube app
Check your data usage
Make sure you’ve turned on data usage for YouTube:
- Go to your device Settings.
- Tap Cellular.
- Under the "Cellular data" section, go to YouTube.
- Next to YouTube, tap the button so it's on.
Other types of errors
Green or black screen in the video player
If you can’t hear audio from a YouTube video, try to:
- Make sure the sound/volume is turned on for your browser or device.
- Check your device’s sound settings.
- Restart your browser or device.
Issues downloading videos
Account error issues
Issues with YouTube Paid Products
If the above steps don’t work and you:
- Bought a movie or TV show on YouTube, OR
- Are an active paid member of Youtube Music, YouTube Premium, or YouTube TV