Reference Overlaps occur when two reference files uploaded for Content ID contain segments that will make claims on identical audio, visual, or audiovisual content.
The partner who uploads the most recent reference file will see action in their Content ID “To Dos” list.
In order for Content ID to correctly execute claims based on an overlapping reference file, you need to specify which party owns exclusive rights to any overlapping section(s).
Manage reference overlaps
- Action required: Review the overlapping segment(s) in this tab and assert, exclude, or contact the other owner. You have 30 days to review and act on reference overlaps in this queue.
- Awaiting other owner: View Reference Overlaps where you have asserted on the overlapping portion(s) and are waiting for the owner of the other reference file to take action.
- Resolved: View resolved Reference Overlaps, including the Resolution Type (e.g. expiration, manual action) and Outcome, which shows if an overlapping portion was “excluded” from your reference or is now “owned” by you.
You have the option to export the list of reference overlaps to CSV. You can also apply the filter in the top right for a specific content owner to view, export, bulk exclude, or bulk contact owner for the results.
Resolve reference overlaps
- Exclude the overlapping segment, allowing the other owner to assert ownership on that portion.
- Assert exclusive rights, prompting the other owner to resolve the reference overlap. If you do this, the owner of the other reference file will receive an item in their To Dos to resolve the overlap and will have an option to exclude the overlapping portion or contact you. The owner of the other reference file may also have the option to counter-assert exclusive rights over the overlapping segment.
- Contact Owners If you’re not sure what to do, use the button to contact the other owner(s) for more information or to help resolve the issue.