If you're an educator, you may be interested in using YouTube's educational content. Here are some resources to help empower you and your students to stay safe online.
Use video in the classroom
YouTube does not own the content posted to the site and is therefore not in a position to grant you permission to use it. Only the actual owner of the content can grant such permission. To get in touch with the owner of a video, click on their channel. From there, you'll be able to send them a note requesting permission by using our private messaging system.
Teach students how to stay safe
The YouTube Digital Citizenship Curriculum is an online education initiative. In a few short lessons, teachers in secondary level education can educate students (age 13+) on topics such as:
- YouTube’s policies
- How to report content on YouTube
- How to protect privacy online
- How to be responsible YouTube community members
- How to be engaged digital citizens
Watch the video below to learn more;Get started with the YouTube Curriculum today!
Avoid potentially objectionable content
You may want to enable Safety Mode, a feature that lets you specify that you don’t want to see potentially objectionable content on YouTube
- Inappropriate content: If you see a video that you feel is inappropriate, flag the video. This is the fastest way to bring potentially inappropriate content to our attention. YouTube policy specialists review flagged videos 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
- Privacy: If you encounter a video that you believe violates the privacy of a student, fellow teacher, or school employee, please direct them or their parent to our Privacy Guidelines and privacy complaint process. For privacy complaints, we will remove content only if the individual(s) featured are clearly identifiable. Visit the Privacy section of our Safety Center to learn even more.
- Harassment: Only a parent or legal guardian may file a complaint on behalf of a child. Our Harassment and cyberbullying article contains resources you can reference if a student or teacher has concerns about harassment on YouTube.