Merch annotations provide creators a way to promote their licensed merchandise directly in their videos. To use Merch annotations you need to verify your account and make sure it is in good standing. You can check if your channel meets this criteria on the YouTube Settings/Features
Enable external annotation links
To create Merch annotations, you first need to enable external annotation links:
- Navigate to your account Annotations tool.
- At the top of the menu you'll see a banner that says “Enable your account for external annotation links.” Click the Enable button on this banner.
- Accept the Terms & Conditions.
Create a Merch annotation
Once you've enabled external annotations links, you can create links from your videos to approved external retail sites where you sell related merchandise.
- From your Video Manager, click the downwards arrow next to the "Edit" button of the video you want to change, then click Annotations.
- Click the Add annotation button to create a new annotation, or select an existing annotation.
- Check the 'Link' checkbox to add a retail url, then choose the Merch category in the drop-down menu.
- When you’ve placed an approved retailer link and have finished editing your annotation, select Save and/or Publish.
Please note that video playback stops when a user clicks an annotation in your video, which can impact your watch time metrics.
Approved retailers and example links
Merch Annotations can link to your storefront or an individual product. URLs entered into the annotations editor must be formatted correctly in order to link correctly.
- Google Play: KarminMusic
- iTunes (accepts international links): KarminMusic
- Spreadshirt (accepts international links): TheFineBros/
- District Lines: MeekaKitty
- Topspin: OkGo
- Cafepress: GeekAndSundry
- Jinx: GeekAndSundry
- Shopify: EpicMealTime
- Songkick: KarminMusic
- Band Merch
- HD Tracks
- HMV Japan
- Live nation
- Movie Tickets
- mu-mo shop
- My Play
- PVR Cinemas
- Seat Geek
- Tower Japan
- Tsutaya Japan