TrueView video ads
What's the policy?
Available TrueView ad formats: TrueView in-slate ads are no longer available, but all of the following TrueView ad formats are available to you through AdWords:
- TrueView in-stream ads
- TrueView in-search ads
- TrueView in-display ads
TrueView video ads are video ads that can be created using AdWords for video and YouTube videos. The rules that apply to text ads generally apply to TrueView video ads, too. To ensure your TrueView video ads are appropriate, please read the "Technical requirements: YouTube videos" section and the "Technical requirements: video ads" section below.
Uploading your videos to YouTube
Resizing your video based on YouTube's best practices recommendations before uploading it will help your videos look better on YouTube. Guidelines for video upload are available via the YouTube Help Center.
If you would like your video to not be viewable or searchable to the public outside of the ad, you can make your video unlisted.
|TrueView format||Where ads appear||Video options||Image options||Ad text limits||Click destination|
Display Network videos, games, and apps
|YouTube video (less than 3 minutes recommended)||300x60 companion (YouTube only)||N/A||Your website|
|In-search||YouTube search results||YouTube video (any length)||Choose from 4 thumbnails||25 characters maximum for headline
35 characters maximum for each description line
|Clicks on your video thumbnail go to your video
Clicks on call-to-action (CTA) overlays go to your website
|In-display (video plays on YouTube Watch or Channel page)||YouTube videos (Suggestions; in-video overlays)
Display Network content
|YouTube video (any length)||Choose from 4 thumbnails||25 characters maximum for headline
Description not shown in Suggestions
|Clicks on your video thumbnail go to your video
Clicks on CTA overlays go to your website.
|Video URL||Required for all||N/A||Must upload video to YouTube|
|Display URL||Required for in-stream||N/A||URL displayed to user during ad view; domain must match destination URL.|
|Destination URL||Required for in-stream||N/A||Clickthrough URL to which the ad will link|
|Companion banner||Optional (in-stream ads only)||300x60
(appears only on YouTube)
|JPG, static GIF, or SWF|
Technical requirements: YouTube videos
If you use a previously uploaded YouTube video, the formatting of your video must meet these requirements:
- The video must allow embedding.
- The video can be public or unlisted, but cannot be private.
- File format: AVI, ASF, Quicktime, Windows Media, MP4, or MPEG
- Preferred video codec: H.264, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4
- Preferred audio codec: MP3 or AAC
- Resolution: 640x360 (16:9) or 480x360 (4:3) recommended
- Frame rate: 30 FPS
- Aspect ratio: Native aspect ratio without letterboxing (examples: 4:3; 16:9)
- Maximum file size: 1 GB
- Clickthroughs: A third-party click redirect or click command is acceptable.
Resizing your video to these specifications before uploading it'll help your videos look better on YouTube. Guidelines for video upload are available via the YouTube Help Center.
Technical requirements: in-stream video tracking within YouTube video content
Including third-party tracking pixels is optional. However, if you include them, they must meet requirements for third-party ad serving. They must also follow these requirements:
- Impressions: 1x1 tracking pixel accepted
- All tracking pixels and any 4th-party calls made within the pixels from daisy-chaining must be SSL-compliant.
- 1x1 image pixels are allowed on the impression, view, and skip events, but not midpoint and complete events.
Technical requirements: video ads
- Formatting: See YouTube specifications
- Format: See YouTube specifications
- Aspect ratio: 4:3, 16:9
- Maximum file size: No maximum
- Video length: No maximum (3 minutes maximum recommended for in-stream ads)
- Video requirements:
- Must be hosted on YouTube
- Must be public
Technical requirements: optional companion banner adsNote: Companion banners won't show for in-stream ads shown to users watching videos on YouTube Leanback, whether on GoogleTV or in their browser.
- Image: Ads must meet our image ads requirements.
- Dimensions: 300x60
- File formats: GIF, JPG, or SWF
Technical requirements: call-to-action (CTA) overlays
- Headline text: 1 line with up to 25 characters
- Description text: 2 lines with up to 35 characters each
- Display URL: The URL displayed to the users on the overlay
- Destination URL: The URL to which the overlay links. Can be a redirect and/or link to an external site.
- Thumbnails must be hosted on YouTube.
- JPG or GIF only
- 74x74 pixels
Technical requirements: in-stream video 300x60 companion banner (optional)
- Dimensions: 300x60 pixels
- File format: JPG, static GIF, or SWF
- Flash versions: 5/6/7/8/9
- Maximum Flash frame rate: 20 FPS or less
- Maximum file size: 50 KB or less
- Maximum animation length: 15 seconds or less
- Rich media: Not acceptable for this ad unit (no audio)
Additional details and recommendations
- Companion banner ads are not served on all YouTube pages where in-stream ads are served. Please note this when comparing video impressions with companion impressions.
- If a companion ad is not provided, no other advertiser's ad will appear next to your pre-roll.
- If submitting SWF video content, see how to implement clickTags.
Google assigns a family status to all ads to make sure that ads are shown to an appropriate audience. InVideo ads and the content they point to must be “family safe.” InVideo ads and their associated websites cannot contain “non-family” or “adult” content. YouTube age-restricted videos cannot be promoted in TrueView ads.
Submissions and turnaround times
- Content should be received by YouTube no later than four business days prior to your campaign start date if sent via your Account Manager.
- A maximum of 2 creative revisions for site-served ads are allowed per 6-week period for active campaigns.
How do I resubmit my ad for review?
If your ad gets disapproved, you can resubmit it for review by simply editing your ad and then saving it. To avoid getting disapproved again, make sure that your ad complies with our policies and that you remove any references to unacceptable content before saving your ad.
Here's how to edit your ad:
- Visit your account's Ads tab.
- Hover over the table row that lists the ad you want to edit. Click the pencil icon next to your ad, and you'll be able to edit your ad right there.
- Click Save when you're done editing your ad.
After editing and saving your ad, the Status column will change from "Disapproved" to another status like "Under review" or "Eligible." We review most ads within 1 business day. Some reviews may take longer because some ads require more complex review.
What happens if I violate this policy?
- Ad disapproval: Ads that don't follow this policy may get disapproved. A disapproved ad won't be able to run until the policy violation is fixed and the ad is approved.
- Domain disabling: We may suspend websites that violate this policy, meaning that the website can no longer be advertised with AdWords until the problem is fixed.
- Account suspension: An account may get suspended if you have several violations or a serious violation. If this happens, all ads in the suspended account will stop running, and we may no longer accept advertising from you. Any related accounts may also get permanently suspended and your new accounts may get automatically suspended at setup. Learn more about suspended accounts.
If you still have questions about this policy, you can contact us via the link below. You'll be taken to a form where you can write to us about your issue.
Contact AdWords Support