To provide a comprehensive and consolidated view of your Audiences and make audience management and optimisation simpler, you’ll see the following improvements in Google Ads:
- New audience reporting
Detailed reporting about audience demographics, segments and exclusions is now consolidated in one place, the 'Audiences' tab within the left page navigation menu. You can also easily manage your audiences from this report page. Learn more about audience reporting
- New terms
We’re using new terms on your Audience report and throughout Google Ads. For example, 'audience types' (these include similar, custom, in-market and affinity) are now referred to as audience segments and 'remarketing' is now referred to as 'your data'. Learn more about the updates to audience terms and phrases
You can show personalised ads to millions of viewers across YouTube and video partner sites, based on their past interactions with your videos or YouTube channel. By reinforcing your message with people who have already seen your videos or channel, you’re more likely to succeed in increasing your return on investment. Learn about your data segments
- Improved ROI: Advertisers have improved their return on investment (ROI) by displaying ads to YouTube visitors who have shown interest in their product or service.
- Broader scope: With YouTube's vast network, your video ad can reach potential customers. Learn more about data segments.
- Efficient pricing: The Google Ads auction model offers competitive rates that meet your target ROI. With CPV bidding, you'll pay for video views and other video interactions, such as clicks on the call-to-action overlays (CTAs), cards and companion banners.
- Flexibility: Show ads based on actions specific to your YouTube videos, including when viewers like, dislike and share your video.
How it works
Your data segments are created by first linking your YouTube channel to your Google Ads account. Once you link accounts, you can reach people who have done the following YouTube-related actions:
- Viewed any video from a channel
- Viewed certain videos
- Viewed any video (as an ad) from a channel
- Viewed certain videos (as ads)
- Subscribed to a channel
- Visited a channel homepage
- Liked any video from a channel
- Added any video from a channel to a playlist
- Shared any video from a channel
You can then use these lists in your targeting settings for new or existing campaigns. Manage your lists at any time by selecting 'Shared library' from the 'Tools' menu , then selecting 'Audience manager' and 'Audience lists' in the right menu. Add lists by clicking on the plus button on the audience lists page and selecting 'YouTube users' in the menu. Then answer the different prompts.
For 'Initial list size', you can either pull list members from the last 30 days of activity on your channel, or start fresh.
Bear in mind that Google Ads doesn’t use your data segments to populate new memberships for YouTube channel and YouTube Masthead in ads on non-Google websites. As a result, any reporting for the YouTube channel and YouTube Masthead data segments will show as '0' under 'Size: Display' on the 'Audience insights' page in Google Ads.
Improve your targeting by exploring these features:
- Various ad formats: Build your campaign to target website and/or app visitors, and existing customers with video ads and other creative formats (text, image and rich media ads). Learn about video ad formats
- Engage mobile customers: Use square and vertical videos to engage mobile customers on the YouTube app. Learn more
- Detailed reports: Optimise your campaign based on performance metrics. For example, raise bids on specific topics or channels that generate the greatest ad response. Learn tips for optimising your video campaign
- Ease of use: Easily create, manage and target your data segments. Learn more about data segments
- Custom audience segments: Customise your targeting by combining your data segments. For example, you can reach people who viewed your movie trailer but haven’t yet viewed your ad promoting the DVD release. Learn how to create a custom combination list