Restricted Mode is an optional setting you can use on YouTube. This feature can help screen out potentially mature content you or others using your devices may prefer not to view.
Turn Restricted Mode on or off
- Click your profile picture .
- Click Restricted Mode.
- In the top-right box that opens, click Activate Restricted Mode to on or off.
Problems turning off Restricted Mode
Computers and devices in libraries, universities, and other public institutions may have Restricted Mode turned on by the system administrator. If you’ve entered your username and password, and Restricted Mode remains on, try contacting your system administrator for more help.
Note: Some mobile network providers offer content filters. These filters restrict the type of web content you can access when your device is connected to their mobile network.
- Check if YouTube content restrictions are turned on for your network by going here.
- If your DNS restrictions are set to “moderate” or “strict," it’s likely that you have content filtering turned on. Try contacting your mobile network provider to find out how to manage or turn off this setting.
Control Restricted Mode for your family
If you’re a parent using the Family Link app, you can turn on Restricted Mode for your child's account. This can be done in the app's settings. Once Restricted Mode has been turned on via Family Link, your child can't change the Restricted Mode settings on any of the signed-in devices.
More info on Restricted Mode
We use many signals—such as video title, description, metadata, Community Guidelines reviews, and age-restrictions—to identify and filter out potentially mature content. Restricted Mode is available in every language, but due to differences in cultural norms and sensitivities, the quality may vary. When Restricted Mode is turned on, you will not be able to view comments on the videos you watch.
Restricted Mode works on the browser or device level, so you must turn it on for each browser you use. If your browser supports multiple profiles, you must turn on this mode for each profile.
Assistant Speakers and Smart Displays
- Open the Home app on your mobile device.
- Tap the Speaker or Smart Display you would like to modify.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications & digital wellbeing.
- Tap YouTube Settings.
- There are two ways you can control Restricted Mode settings for your Smart Display:
- You can turn on or off Restricted Mode for yourself, and
- You can turn on or off Restricted Mode for all other users (can be set by any device manager).
Note: Restricted Mode is set at the device level.