Recommended upload encoding settings
- No Edit Lists (or the video might not get processed correctly)
- moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)
- Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1
- Sample rate 96khz or 48khz
- Progressive scan (no interlacing)
- High Profile
- 2 consecutive B frames
- Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate.
- Variable bitrate. No bitrate limit required, though we offer recommended bit rates below for reference
- Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
Content should be encoded and uploaded in the same frame rate it was recorded.
Common frame rates include: 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 frames per second (other frame rates are also acceptable).
Interlaced content should be deinterlaced before uploading. For example, 1080i60 content should be deinterlaced to 1080p30, going from 60 interlaced fields per second to 30 progressive frames per second.
The bitrates below are recommendations for uploads. Audio playback bitrate is not related to video resolution.
Recommended video bitrates for uploads
|Type||Video Bitrate, Standard Frame Rate
(24, 25, 30)
|Video Bitrate, High Frame Rate
(48, 50, 60)
|2160p (4k)||35-45 Mbps||53-68 Mbps|
|1440p (2k)||16 Mbps||24 Mbps|
|1080p||8 Mbps||12 Mbps|
|720p||5 Mbps||7.5 Mbps|
|480p||2.5 Mbps||4 Mbps|
|360p||1 Mbps||1.5 Mbps|
Recommended audio bitrates for uploads
YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you're uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player.
Learn how to use resolution and aspect ratios correctly.