Upload audio or image files
- Enhancements will continue to be available and accessible through Video Manager. You can still improve your uploaded videos in Video Manager using Enhancements to make edits such as trim, blur and filter.
- If you’re currently using Video Editor or Photo slideshows, you have until September 20, 2017 to finish and publish your projects. After this date, your projects will no longer be accessible. Any videos published with the Video Editor or Photo slideshows before September 20, 2017, will not be affected.
- You can download your own videos from YouTube in 720p, or use Google Takeout to retrieve your original files in case you want to use them in a new video.
- To find Creative Commons material to use in your videos, filter your search results by Feature = Creative Commons. You can send a private message to the uploader if you find a video that is licensed as Creative Commons, to ask if they could share the original video file with you.
There are many free and paid third-party editing tools available if you’re looking for new editing software. Consider visiting one of our forums and community platforms to see what other creators are using.
Want to upload a song you wrote or a slideshow of photos from your vacation?
YouTube isn't designed to host files that are exclusively audio (.MP3, .WAV, etc.) or files that are exclusively images (.JPG, .PNG, etc.). Before you upload, you'll need to combine audio and image files into a format that will work on YouTube.
Convert an audio file
You can use free programs like Windows Live Movie Maker to add an image to an audio track so you can convert it into a .WMV video file. After you’ve converted the file, you can then upload it to YouTube.
Here’s how you convert audio tracks into .WMV video files on Windows Live Movie Maker:
Part 1: Select your audio and image files
- Select Add videos and Photos from the bar at the top, then choose an image from your computer. This image will be displayed in your slideshow.
- Click Add music and select your audio track.
Part 2: Adjust the image to fit the audio trackTo make sure the file is properly uploaded to YouTube, you’ll need to adjust the duration of the image to match the duration of the audio track on your timeline.
- Double click the green audio bar in the timeline, which will display “End point”. Copy the End point number (e.g. 261.49).
- Double click the image thumbnail in the timeline, and enter a duration equal to the length of the audio track. For example, if the audio track has a length of 261.49 the image duration should be adjusted to 261.49 as well.
Part 3: Save your file
- Choose Recommended for this project.
- After naming your movie, click Save.
You can use a program like iMovie to add an image to an audio track so you can convert it into a .MOV video file. After you’ve converted the file, you can then upload it to YouTube.
Here’s how you convert audio tracks into .MOV video files on iMovie:
Part 1: Add an image and audio file
- Drag an image file from your computer into the project area.
- Drag the audio file into the project area.
Part 2: Adjust the image to fit the audio trackTo make sure the file is properly uploaded on YouTube, you’ll need to adjust the duration of the image to match the duration of the audio track on your timeline.
- Click the gear menu in the green box.
- Click Clip Adjustments and copy the numbers under “Source Duration”. This is the length of your audio track.
- Next, hover your mouse over the thumbnail of the image, and click the gear that appears (not the gear in the green box).
- Select Clip Adjustments.
- Enter the numbers from the “Source Duration” in Step 2 into the “Duration” field.
- Click Done.
Part 3: Save your file
- Click the Share menu.
- Select Export using QuickTime...
- Name your file and click Save.
Convert image files into a slideshowHere’s how you can easily convert photos into a slideshow:
- Visit the upload page on YouTube.
- Click Create under Photo slideshow.
- Upload photos from your computer or select photos from an existing Google+ photo album, then click Select.
- Drag and drop the photos to rearrange them. When you’re done, click Next.
- Select an audio track from the library under “Audio,” or select No audio to have your slideshow play without music (You won't be able to upload audio files from your computer).
- Click Upload when you’ve finished making your slideshow.
You can also use programs like Windows Live Movie Maker or iMovie to add audio to your images before uploading the file to YouTube.