Moderate & review comments
When comments are turned on for your videos, you can use our tools to moderate the conversation. Learn how to turn comments on.
Comments are not available on private videos. If you want to allow comments on a video that's not publicly available, post an unlisted video instead.
Remove, report or hide comments
When someone comments on your video, you'll receive a notification. Click the menu icon in the top right-hand corner of the comment to manage comments:
- Remove: Take down the comment and replies from YouTube.
- Report spam or abuse: Report comments that you believe are spam or abuse to the YouTube team.
- Hide from channel: Block the user from posting comments on videos on your channel. If you change your mind, you can remove the user from the hidden users list in your community settings.
Add hearts to favourite comments
You can use a heart to show appreciation for a viewer's comments from Creator Studio, on a watch page, on a channel and in the Community tab comments.
- Sign in to your channel at www.youtube.com.
- At the top of the page, click your account icon .
- Click Creator Studio.
- Go to Community, then click Comments.
- In the 'Published Comments' section, go to the comment that you'd like to favourite and click the heart .
- After clicking on a heart, you'll see your channel icon with a heart next to the thumbs up/thumbs down icons.
Watch page, channel and the Community tab
- Sign in to your channel at www.youtube.com.
- Navigate to a video on your channel.
- Look for the heart next to the thumbs up/thumbs down icons.
- After clicking on a heart, you'll see a 'comment loved' confirmation message.
Viewers will see your avatar with a small red heart on and receive a notification (depending on viewer opt-in settings on desktop and mobile) that a channel owner 'loves your comment'.
Hold and review comments for approval
You can require that all new comments get approved before they're posted to your video or channel.
- Find the video in the Video Manager.
- Under the video, click Edit.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Under 'Allow comments', select Approved.
This setting only applies to new comments and will not apply to comments currently on your channel.
Hold comments with links for review
You can hold comments that include links for review.
- Go to your Creator Studio.
- Go to your channel's Community settings by selecting Community > Community settings in the left-hand menu.
- Go to Links and tick the box to automatically hold new comments with links for review.
You can hold potentially inappropriate comments, as identified by an algorithm, for your review. This can make it easier for you to moderate comments and control the tone of your channel. This feature is available globally and works on comments in the following languages: English, Spanish, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, French, Arabic, German, Japanese, Turkish and Vietnamese.
If you choose to opt in, comments will appear in your 'Held For Review' queue. You have the final decision on whether to approve, hide or report these comments, and you can always add words and filters to capture more comments.
The algorithms that power the 'Hold for review' feature will not always be accurate. This feature is intended to capture the majority of potentially offensive comments, but it is possible that some potentially offensive comments may not be filtered. As you review comments that are held, the system will take that feedback into account and, over time, get better at identifying the types of comments to hold for review.
Note: Previously posted comments will not be affected by the hold for review feature; hold for review will apply only to new comments.
Enable 'Hold for review' on existing video's comments
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to your video and select the 'Advanced Settings' tab.
- Under the 'Allow comments' section, select All except potentially inappropriate comments from the drop-down menu.
Enable on new video and channel comments
- Sign in to your YouTube account.
- Click on your account icon > Creator Studio.
- In the menu, select Community > Community Settings.
- Scroll down to the 'Default Settings' section.
- For videos and/or channels, select Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review.
If someone leaves a comment that looks like spam, you can review, approve or delete it.
- Go to Creator Studio.
- Go to your comments by selecting Community > Comments from the menu on the left.
- Click the Likely spam tab.
- Go to your channel's Comments tab by selecting Community > Comments in the menu on the left.
- Select the Held for review tab.
- You'll see a list of all held comments with an 'Automatically held' tag.
- You can approve, hide or report each comment.
As you review the held comments, the feature will take that feedback into account and get better at identifying the types of comments that you want to review. Over time, this feature will reduce the amount of work needed to monitor your community comments.
You can manage comments for multiple videos at the same time.
- Sign in to YouTube on a computer.
- Go to Creator Studio > Video Manager.
- Select the box next to any of the videos that you want to manage.
- At the top of the screen, click the Actions menu.
- Select More actions > Comments.
- Choose from the following options:
- Allow all comments
- Hold potentially inappropriate comments for review
- Allow only approved comments
- Don't allow comments
Invite a comment moderator
You can invite other YouTube users who have channels to moderate your comments. Learn more on how to add a comment moderator to your channel.