Create custom policies
YouTube provides three predefined policies: Monetize in all countries, Track in all countries, and Block in all countries. You can create custom policies for more granular control over your content. Custom policies enable you to customize where YouTube makes your content available or in which regions YouTube will monetize your content.
Creating and saving custom policies enables you to easily apply the same policy rules to many videos. When you subsequently make a change to a policy, the change automatically propagates to the claims using that policy.
To create a custom policy:
Go to the Manage Policies page in the YouTube Content Manager.
The page lists previously created policies. If you haven’t yet created custom policies, the list shows the three predefined policies Monetize in all countries, Track in all countries, and Block in all countries.
Click the New Policy button.
If you already have a policy similar to the one you want to create, you can select that policy, click Duplicate, then edit the copy to create the new policy.
Enter a title and description for the new policy.
Use a title that summarizes the policy’s action and clearly distinguishes it from your other policies. For example, an appropriate title for a policy that will be used to monetize content in France would be
Monetize only in FR.
To create a match policy that uses auto-claim conditions, click Turn on auto-claim criteria.
Any policy that uses auto-claim criteria can only be used as a match policy for Content ID.
Click the Save Policy Properties button.
Define the if-then rules that specify which action to apply to the claimed video.
Each rule consists of a condition and the action to apply when that condition is met. To define the rules:
- Choose the basis for the condition from the If the following conditions are met drop-down. If you didn’t turn on auto-claim criteria, the only option is the location of the user.
- Choose a comparison operator.
- Choose the value to compare it to.
- To add another clause to the condition, click the + button and repeat steps a to c in the new row that appears. When a condition has multiple clauses, the rule applies only when all of the clauses are met.
- From the Do this drop-down, choose the action that YouTube should take when the rule conditions are met.
- To route claims that meet this condition manual review, click Route for manual review. This option is only available for match policies that use auto-claim criteria.
- To add another rule, click Add Another Rule and repeat steps a through f.
Click the Publish button to create the policy.
The new policy appears on the Manage Policies page and is ready to apply.