You can share a small portion of your video or live stream with others by clipping it. Clips are public and can be shared on social channels or via direct communications like email or text.
Note: Clipping videos is turned on by default. Learn how to turn it off.
Create and share a Clip
Clips are between 5-60 seconds long and are played on a loop from the original video’s watch page.
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to a video you want to clip.
- Select Menu Clip .
- Add a title for your Clip (max 140 characters).
- Select the section of the video you’d like to clip. You can increase (maximum of 60 seconds) or decrease (minimum of 5 seconds) the length of your selection by dragging the slider.
- Click SHARE CLIP.
- Choose an option for sharing the clip:
- Embed: You can embed the video in a website.
- Social networks: You can share your Clip to a social network like Facebook or Twitter.
- Copy the link: You can copy a link to your Clip to paste somewhere else.
- Email: You can share your Clip using the default email software on your computer.
Note: You can find clips you made in the Clips library.
You can prevent your audience from creating and sharing clips of your video.
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left Menu, click Settings.
- Select Channel Advanced Settings.
- Under Clips, uncheck Allow viewers to clip my content.
Note: You can also Add users to your channel’s “Hidden users” list to prevent them from creating clips of your videos or live streams. You can also Add words to your list of blocked words to prevent them from being used in the titles of clips of your videos and live streams.
Manage your Clips
You can manage your Clips in YouTube Studio.
- Sign in to YouTube Studio.
- From the left Menu, select Content.
- Click a video’s title or thumbnail.
- From the left Menu, select Clips.
- You can view, play, share, hide and report your Clips.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I don't see how to create Clips on YouTube.
To make clips from a video or live stream on YouTube, you must:
- Be signed in.
- Create a Clip from an eligible and opted-in channel. A channel may also turn off Clip creation on their content.
Clips can’t be made from:
- Videos shorter than 2 minutes
- Videos made for kids
- Live streams without DVR
- Live streams over 8 hours long
- Premieres while they’re still live
- Videos made from news channels
Who can see the Clips I created?
Clips are public and can be watched and shared by anyone with access to the Clip who can also watch the original video. Creators who own the original video can watch and share Clips of that video. Clips can also be seen on select search, discovery, and analytics surfaces available to viewers and creators on YouTube.
Why are the Clips I created no longer available?
If the original video is deleted or set to private, then Clips of that video will be unavailable. If the video is set to unlisted, then Clips of that video will still be available.
If the original video violates our Community Guidelines, then Clips created from that video will be removed.
I created a clip from a live stream that's not working.
Clips will show up after the live stream has finished and is uploaded as a video. You can’t create Clips from live streams without DVR or live streams longer than the DVR timeframe. Learn how to Turn on DVR on live streams.
If a live stream lasts longer than the DVR timeframe, any clips that fall outside the DVR timeframe will not be playable until the live stream ends, and the original video is posted.