Select and share a small portion (clip) of a video or live stream with others by clipping it. Clips can be shared on social channels or via direct communications (for example, email or text), and can be managed in your Clips library.
Clips are Public, and can be watched by anyone with access to the Clip who can also watch the orginal video.
Note: Clipping videos is turned on by default. Learn how to turn it off.
Create and share a Clip
Clips are between 5-60 seconds long and are played on a loop from the original video’s watch page.
- Sign in to YouTube. You need to be signed in to create a Clip.
- Start watching a video.
- Under the video, click the Clip . If you don't see this, the video isn't eligible for Clips.
- A “Create clip” box will show up.
- Select the section of the video you’d like to clip. You can increase (maximum of 60 seconds) or decrease (minimum of 5 seconds) the length of your selection by dragging the slider.
- Give the clip a title (max 140 characters).
- Click SHARE CLIP.
- Choose an option for sharing the Clip:
- Copy the link: Click the COPY button to copy a link to the video that you can paste somewhere else, like in an email message.
- Social networks: Click a social network icon (for example, Facebook or Twitter) to share the video there.
- Embed: Click the Embed button to generate a code you can use to embed the video in a website.
- Email: Choose the email icon to send an email using the default email software on your computer.
Creators can prevent others from making and sharing clips of their videos on YouTube. Here’s how:
- Sign in to YouTube.
- Go to studio.youtube.com.
- From the left, click Settings.
- Click Channel.
- Click Advanced Settings, and under “Clips,” uncheck Allow viewers to clip my content.
Prevent users from creating clips
Add users to your channel’s “Hidden users” list to prevent them from creating clips of your videos or live streams.
Block words from clip descriptions
Add words to your list of blocked words to prevent them from being used in the descriptions of clips of your videos and live streams.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I don't see how to create Clips on YouTube.
To make clips from a video or live stream on YouTube, you must:
- Be signed in.
- Create a Clip from an eligible and opted-in channel. A channel may also turn off Clip creation on their content.
Clips can’t be made from:
- Videos shorter than 2 minutes
- Videos made for kids
- Live streams without DVR
- Live streams over 8 hours long
- Premieres while they’re still live
- Videos made from news channels
Who can see the Clips I created?
Why are the Clips I created no longer available?
If the original video is deleted or set to private, then Clips of that video will be unavailable. If the video is set to unlisted, then Clips of that video will still be available.
If the original video violates our Community Guidelines, then Clips created from that video will be removed.
I created a clip from a live stream that's not working.
Clips will show up after the live stream has finished and is uploaded as a video. You can’t create Clips from live streams without DVR or live streams longer than the DVR timeframe. Learn how to Turn on DVR on live streams.
If a live stream lasts longer than the DVR timeframe, any clips that fall outside the DVR timeframe will not be playable until the live stream ends, and the original video is posted.