Parents who decide their child under 13 (or the relevant age in their country/region) is ready to explore YouTube can set up a supervised account. Supervised accounts are linked to a parent's own Google Account.
When a parent sets up a supervised account, they select a content setting that limits the videos and music children under 13 can play. Learn more about supervised accounts.
How to set up a supervised experience for your child on YouTube
Create a supervised account
Choose one of these options to create a supervised account:
Option 1: From YouTube or YouTube Music on a parent’s device
- Using the Google Account you use as a parent manager of your child’s account, sign in to one of the following:
- YouTube app or website
- YouTube Music app or website
- YouTube app on a Smart TV or streaming device
2. Go to your profile picture
3. Select Settings .
4. Select Parent Settings.
5. Select your child and follow the next steps.
Option 2: From YouTube or YouTube Music on a child's device
- Sign in to the main YouTube app, the YouTube Music app, or the YouTube app on a Smart TV or streaming device. Use your child’s Google Account that’s linked to yours.
- Select GET STARTED and follow the next steps.
- Note: You’ll need to enter your own Google Account password to give permission.
Option 3: From families.youtube.com on the web
- Go to families.youtube.com.
- Sign in to the Google Account you use as a parent manager of your child’s account.
- Select a child from your family group and follow the next steps.
Option 4: From the Family Link app
- Sign in to your Family Link app .
- Select your child.
- Select Controls Content restrictions YouTube YouTube & YouTube Music.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Start the supervised experience
To begin the supervised experience on YouTube:
- Update apps: If your child uses a mobile device, make sure all their YouTube apps are up to date.
- Sign in: Sign your child into YouTube on all the devices they use.
There are several parental controls and settings available for your child’s supervised experience.
- To confirm YouTube Music is available in your country/region, check this list of available locations.
- To download the YouTube or YouTube Music app, parents should review their Content & Privacy Restrictions settings on their child’s iOS device.