Manage caption settings
Captions are available on videos where the owner has added them and on some videos where YouTube automatically provides them. You can change the default settings for captions on your computer or mobile device.
You can change how your captions look, what language they're in, and more.
Turn captions on or off
- Go to the video.
- If captions are available the icon will be visible on the player.
- To turn captions on, tap .
- To turn captions off, tap again.
Turn default setting to on or off
- Go to your Account Settings page.
- Select Playback from the left-hand menu.
- Check or uncheck Always show captions.
- Check Show automatic captions by speech recognition (when available) to enable automatic captions for videos that don't already have captions provided.
- Click Save.
Adjust default size and style of captions
Adjust default caption size & style
- Go to video player.
- Click settings .
- Select Subtitles/CC.
- Click Options to customize:
- Font, color, opacity, and size.
- Background color and opacity.
- Window color and opacity.
- Character edge style.
Note: These will be your default captions format settings until you change them again or click Reset to go back to the default captions format.
You can use keyboard shortcuts to quickly adjust caption formatting while watching your video. Make sure to click inside the video player before using keyboard shortcuts.
- “+” makes the captions bigger.
- “-” makes the captions smaller.
Select caption language
- Click the settings icon at the bottom of the video screen.
- Click Subtitles/CC.
- Click Auto-translate.
- Select a language.
View captions transcript
- Underneath the video player, click More.
- Select the transcript icon . As you watch the video, the transcript will scroll to show you the current caption text.
- Click on any line of caption text to jump to that part of the video.
Caption settings on TV and game consoles
You can select or change your caption settings on any TV, game console, or media device that supports YouTube.
- From the watch page, bring up the player controls.
- Select 'More Options.'
- Click on the button.
- Select Captions from the menu to toggle captions on and off.
- From the same menu, you can also change:
- Font family
- Font color
- Font size
- Background color
- Background opacity
Note: if the video does not offer captions, the button will still be visible but you will not be able to click on it.