Captions (subtitles) are available on videos where the owner has added them, and on some videos where YouTube automatically adds them. You can change the default settings for captions on your computer or mobile device.
You can customize captions by changing their appearance and language. Captions aren't available on the YouTube mobile site on iOS.
Turn captions on or off
- Go to the watch page of any video.
- In the video player, tap to turn on Captions.
- To turn off Captions, tap again.
Change default size & style of captions
- Open your iOS device Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Under the "Media" section, tap Subtitles & Captioning.
- Tap Style to change the size and style for the display and font.
- Tap Create New Style for more font styles, sizes, and colors.
Caption settings on TV & game consoles
You can select or change your caption settings on any TV, game console, or media device that supports YouTube.
- Pause the video you’re playing.
- Tap Captions .
- Select the language you want Captions in.
- Select Caption style.
- Select the settings you want to customize. You can change the font and its appearance. You can also change the background and window that the captions are displayed in.