Manage caption settings
Captions are available on videos where the owner has added them and on some videos where YouTube automatically provides them. You can change the default settings for captions on your computer or mobile device.
You can turn YouTube captions on or off and adjust their size on your computer and mobile device. Captions are not available on the YouTube mobile site on iOS.
Turn captions on or off
- Go to the video.
- Tap menu .
- To turn captions on, tap .
- To turn captions off, tap again.
Adjust default size and style of captions
- Open your iOS device Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Under the 'Media' section, tap Subtitles & Captioning.
- Tap Style to adjust display size and font style.
- Tap Create New Style for more font styles, sizes and colours.
Caption settings on TV and game consoles
You can select or change your caption settings on any TV, game console or media device that supports YouTube.
- From the watch page, bring up the player controls.
- Select 'More Options'.
- Click on the button.
- Select Captions from the menu to turn captions on in whichever languages are available or turn them off.
- From the same menu, you can also change:
- Font family
- Font colour
- Font size
- Background colour
- Background opacity
Note: If the video does not offer captions, the button will still be visible but you will not be able to click on it.