Captions (subtitles) are available on videos where the owner has added them and on some videos where YouTube automatically adds them. You can change the default settings for captions on your computer or mobile device.
You can customise captions by changing their appearance and language. Captions aren't available on the YouTube mobile site on iPhones and iPads.
Turn captions on or off
- Go to the watch page of any video.
- In the video player, tap to turn on captions.
- To turn off captions, tap again.
Change default size and style of captions
- Open your iPhone or iPad's Settings app.
- Go to General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Under the 'Media' section, tap Subtitles and captioning.
- Tap Style to change the size and style for the display and font.
- Tap Create new style for more font styles, sizes and colours.
Caption settings on TV and game consoles
You can select or change your caption settings on any TV, game console or media device that supports YouTube.
- Pause the video that you're playing.
- Tap captions .
- Select the language that you want captions in.
- Select Caption style.
- Select the settings that you want to customise. You can change the font and its appearance. You can also change the background and window that the captions are displayed in.