Captions (subtitles) are available on videos where the owner has added them, and on some videos where YouTube automatically adds them. You can change the default settings for captions on your computer or mobile device.
You can customize captions by changing their appearance and language.
Turn captions on or off
- Go to the video you'd like to watch.
- If captions are available, will be visible on the bottom right of the video player.
- To turn on Captions, click .
- To turn off captions, click again.
Turn default setting to on or off
- Click your profile picture .
- Click Settings .
- From the left-hand menu, click Playback and performance.
- Check or uncheck Always show captions.
- Check or uncheck Include auto-generated captions (when available). This option turns on or off automatic captions for videos that don't have captions added.
Change default size & style of captions
- At the bottom right of the video player, click Settings .
- Click Subtitles/CC.
- Click Options.
You can customize:
- Font, color, opacity, and size.
- Background color and opacity.
- Window color and opacity.
- Character edge style.
Caption settings on TV & game consoles
You can select or change your caption settings on any TV, game console, or media device that supports YouTube.
- Pause the video you’re playing.
- Tap Captions .
- Select the language you want Captions in.
- Select Caption style.
- Select the settings you want to customize. You can change the font and its appearance. You can also change the background and window that the captions are displayed in.