Do users work with G Suite outside of standard business hours?
You can follow the time users spend with each G Suite apps during non-standard hours in your organization.
View the data
- From the Work Insights dashboard, on the left, click Work patterns.
- Find the chart titled “Do users work with G Suite outside of standard business hours?”
- In team filter at the upper-right corner of the page, select a team. For details, see Filter Work Insights data by team.
- (Optional) In the time filter at upper-right corner of the page, select a different time range.
- (Optional) To view usage on a specific day, move your pointer over any area of the graph to pinpoint a date and its associated app usage.
- (Optional) To view data for specific apps or activities, check or uncheck the G Suite boxes in the chart's legend.
Tip: For more information on navigating charts, see Navigate Work Insights.
What the chart means
The chart shows the average time users spent using Gmail; meetings; and Docs, Sheets, and Slides outside of core business hours. Meeting data is retrieved from each user’s calendar.
Depending on the time range you’ve set, the chart can expose trends in G Suite usage during non-standard hours.
How the data is calculated
The total amount of hours that users spend with G Suite (desktop or mobile) outside of standard business hours is divided by the total number of those users.
Standard business hours are based on each user’s calendar settings. If no settings are available, we assume the hours are 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM in the user’s time zone.
Use the data
|Identify users working significant hours outside of standard business hours.||
Encourage them to establish their working days and hours on their calendars. This might help reduce emails, meetings, or collaboration outside their daily schedules.
|Determine if any spikes in work outside of standard business hours are part of an expected pattern, such as days before a product launch.||
If you continually see unexpected hours, consider sending a user survey to help understand the possible reasons. Consistent work outside of standard business hours might be unique to the employee's role, such as a support function.
|Determine if specific teams are co-located and working outside of standard business hours.||If some team members work remotely or in different time zones, clarify whether their location is impacting core working hours.|