You can follow the actual time users spend with each Google Workspace app in your organization.
View the data
- From the Work Insights dashboard, on the left, click Work patterns.
- Find the chart titled “How much time do users spend in each app?”
- In team filter at the upper-right corner of the page, select a team. For details, see Filter Work Insights data by team.
- (Optional) In the time filter at upper-right corner of the page, select a different time range.
- (Optional) To pinpoint a date and its associated app usage, move your pointer over any area of the graph.
- (Optional) To view data for specific apps, check or uncheck the app boxes in the chart's legend.
Tip: For more information on navigating charts, see Navigate Work Insights.
What the chart means
The chart shows the time users spent with Gmail, Docs, Sheets, and Slides. Over a long time span, the chart can expose an increase or decrease of usage for each Google Workspace app.
How the data is calculated
The total amount of time spent in an app is divided by the number of users who have access to Google Workspace. “Time” means actively engaging with the app, such as opening a message in Gmail.
Use the data
|Identify the Google Workspace apps that users spend the least time using during their workday. Is this level of usage expected because only a few employees use Google Workspace?||
Verify which teams are not using Google Workspace apps, and whether those users are still using Microsoft Office or other productivity apps.
Consider sending a user survey to understand possible reasons why users are not spending time with particular Google Workspace apps.
|Identify the Google Workspace apps that users spend the most time using during their workday.||
Verify which teams spend significant time using particular Google Workspace apps, and whether that time maps well to the team's function.
For example, if a team is spending significant time with Gmail, check if they are also using alternative ways to communicate, such as Chat or comments in Docs, Sheets, or Slides. You can suggest which channel might be best suited for the team's needs.