The Google Wifi app is compatible with accessibility options like TalkBack for Android and VoiceOver for iOS devices. Both are screen reading services that describe out loud what you touch, select and activate. You can use touch exploration and gestures to navigate your device without visual input.
Find out more about Android accessibility features.Turn on TalkBack for Android
TalkBack is a Google screen reader service that’s included on your Android device. If you don’t have TalkBack installed on your device, you can download TalkBack in Google Play.
- Open your device's main Settings menu.
- In the ‘System’ section, tap Accessibility.
- Follow the steps for your version of Android:
- Android 3.2 or earlier: Enable the Accessibility tick box, then enable the TalkBack tick box.
- Android 4.0: Select TalkBack and slide the TalkBack switch to the ON position. Go back to the previous screen and enable Explore by touch.
- Android 4.1 and above: Select TalkBack and slide the TalkBack switch to the ON position.
Once you enable TalkBack, spoken feedback starts immediately. As you navigate your device, TalkBack describes your actions and alerts you of notifications.
Next, find out how to use TalkBack gestures.
For example, to change your Wi-Fi network name:
- Select the Google Wifi app, then double tap to open it.
- Swipe left or right to hear all the items on the screen. Select the Settings button, then double tap to open.
- Select your network name, then double tap to open.
- Select your network name, then double tap to edit. Double tap the edit box to reveal the keyboard.
- Once you’ve changed your network name, select and double tap the save button.
VoiceOver is a screen reader service that’s included in your iOS device. Here’s how to turn it on:
- Open your iOS device’s main Settings.
- Tap General > Accessibility.
- In the ‘Vision’ section, tap VoiceOver.
- Toggle on the VoiceOver switch.
With VoiceOver, one touch will highlight an item and tell you what it is. To select an item, touch it once to highlight, then double tap. Swipe down or up with two fingers to hear all the items on the screen.
For example, to change your network name:
- Double tap the Google Wifi app to open it.
- VoiceOver will automatically tell you the first item on the screen, which is the navigation button. Swipe right until you reach the 'Open Settings button'. Double tap to open it.
- Swipe down with two fingers to hear all the items in the navigation menu.
- Double tap your network name to open your network name settings. Double tap to the text field to open it and reveal the keyboard.
- After entering a new network name, double tap Save.