You can use your Activity controls to choose what kinds of activity are saved in your Google Account. These settings apply on all phones that are signed in to your account.
You can change these settings and view or delete your saved activity at any time.
Activity that can be saved
Your Activity controls let you decide whether or not to save these types of activity:
- Web & App Activity saves your searches and other activity on Google services to make searches faster and give you customized experiences in Search, Maps, and other Google products. You can also choose to save your:
- Chrome history and activity from sites, apps, and devices that use Google services
- Voice and audio recordings
- Location History creates a private map of where you go with your signed-in phones to provide improved map searches, commute routes, and more.
- YouTube History stores:
Change what activity gets saved
You can change these settings to control most of the activity that's saved in your account.
- Go to your Google Account.
- On the left navigation panel, click Data & personalization.
- Under "Activity controls," click an Activity control.
- Turn the Activity control on or off.
See or delete activity
When activity is saved
Activity is saved when you're signed in to your Google Account on any phone. When an Activity control is turned on, Google may store information based on this setting.
Note: If you use more than one account at the same time, activity might get saved in your default account.
Learn more about the information we collect and how we use it to make our services work better for you.
When you use Google sites, apps, and services, some of your activity is saved in your Google Account. Most of this data is kept until you delete it, like when you manually delete or set time periods to automatically delete your data in My Activity. Some data may expire sooner.
When you delete data, we follow a policy to safely and completely remove it from your account. First, deleted activity is immediately removed from view and no longer used to personalize your Google experience. Then, we begin a process designed to safely and completely delete the data from our storage systems.
Even when activity is deleted, some data about your use of Google services may be kept for the life of your Google Account. For example, after you delete a search from My Activity, your account will store the fact that you searched for something, but not what you searched for.
Sometimes we retain certain information for an extended period of time to meet specific business needs or legal requirements. When you delete your Google Account, much of this information is also removed.
Learn more about the data we retain and why.