SafeSearch: Turn on or off
With SafeSearch, you can help prevent adult content from appearing in your search results. No filter is 100 percent accurate, but SafeSearch should help you avoid most of this type of material.
Turn SafeSearch on or off
- Visit the Search Settings page.
- In the "SafeSearch filters" section:
- Turn on SafeSearch by checking the box beside "Filter explicit results." When SafeSearch is on, sexually explicit video and images will be filtered from Google Search result pages, along with results that might link to explicit content.
- Turn off SafeSearch by leaving the box unchecked. When SafeSearch is off, we'll provide the most relevant results for your search and may include explicit content when you search for it.
- Click Save button at the bottom of the page.
SafeSearch should remain set as long as cookies are enabled on your computer, although your SafeSearch settings may be reset if you delete your cookies.
Your internet service provider (ISP) or network administrator can override your SafeSearch setting. If you find that your setting is not reflected in the search results you see, please contact your ISP or network administrator for more information.
Report explicit content
We do our best to keep SafeSearch as up-to-date and comprehensive as possible, but objectionable content sometimes slips through the cracks. If you have SafeSearch set to filter explicit results, but still see these types of sites or images, please let us know. When you report the content, please let us know why you believe the image is inappropriate.
- Web page results: Use this tool to report offensive content.
- Image results: Click the inappropriate image then click Send feedback in the bottom right corner of the image result panel.
Stay safe on the Web
Also, please note that no filter can replace a watchful eye. SafeSearch can serve as one of many tools and practices to help your family search the web more safely. For more pointers on keeping your family safe on the web, visit Google's Family Safety Center.