“Ok Google” voice search on Chrome [beta]
You can search by voice on Google without typing or clicking. After installing the Google Voice Search Hotword extension, visit google.com or a new tab in Chrome. Then, say "Ok Google" followed by your search term.
First step: Install the Chrome extension
- On the Google Voice Search Hotword extension page, click Free in the top right corner.
- When asked if you want to "Add Google Voice Search Hotword," click Add.
- Read the information page that appears. From here, you can change the extension’s settings.
- Click Done.
Now that the extension is downloaded, visit google.com or open a new tab in Chrome to start searching without clicking. (Even when the extension is installed, you can still click the microphone icon to start a voice search, or search by typing.)
How to tell if the microphone is listening
The microphone icon that appears in the search box lets you know when you can start your search by speaking.
Your search will only be sent to Google if you say “Ok Google” while on a google.com tab and the extension is active. Local processing is done by the extension on your device in order to detect when you say "Ok Google."
We’re constantly working to make voice search better for everyone. If you notice an error, scroll to the bottom of the search results page and click Send feedback. There, you can let us know what you actually said and what Google thought you said.
The Google Search Hotword Extension currently on works on computers in the United States searching on https://www.google.com.
Troubleshoot errors"Hotword detection is off"
If you see the "Say Ok Google" text and a solid microphone, but the voice trigger is not working, check your microphone settings.
Windows microphone setting
Mac microphone setting
Chromebook microphone setting
- Visit Chrome settings > Media > Microphone.
- Set the correct microphone.
- Choosing the default microphone typically works best.
There is a known issue with ARM chromebooks where the extension is not working. We are working to fix this issue.
Disable or uninstall the extension
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Click Settings.
- Click Extensions on the left side of the page.
- Scroll on the page to find the Google Voice Search Hotword (Beta) extension.
To disable the extension, uncheck the box next to "Enabled."
To remove the extension from your Chrome browser, click the trash icon .