Change your Google app settings
You can change your settings for the Google app, including settings for voice search, past searches, SafeSearch, and notifications. Some search settings aren't available on all devices.
Get to the settings menu
- Open the Google app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Settings.
Settings you can changeAccounts & privacy
- Google Account: Choose the Google Account you want to use.
- Google Account History: View or delete past searches and other activity that's saved to your Google Account, including things you search for, your voice searches and commands, and places you go.
- SafeSearch filter: Filter explicit content from your search results.
- Accessibility: Turn on high-contrast text.
- Help improve Google: If you have the Google Now Launcher, you can choose to send Google information to help improve the experience.
Choose the language you want to see your search results in. Voice search results will be in the same language that you used to do your voice search.
Change the settings that control voice search and voice actions.
- Languages: Voice search results will be in the same language that you used to do your voice search.
- Speech output: Hear spoken responses to some of your searches.
- "Ok Google" detection: Choose which screens you can say “Ok Google” from to start a voice search.
- Offline speech recognition: Download more languages for speech recognition to use when you’re not online.
- Block offensive words: Offensive words that you search for will be replaced in the search box with asterisks *.
- Bluetooth headset: Use your voice over a Bluetooth headset when one is connected.
To show app information in your search suggestions and results, check one or more of the boxes. For example, if you check the box next to your Contacts app, when you search for your mom’s name, her contact information may appear in search suggestions and results. Learn more about searching in your apps.
- Show cards: Turn Google Now cards on or off for your Google Account.
- Manage card history: View or delete your Google Now history, which includes which cards were shown to you and if you interacted with them.
- Delete card preferences: This will turn off any customizations you've created (like your favorite sports teams) and will also turn off Google Now cards on all of your devices.
- Show notifications for card updates: Turn this setting on to get notifications for Google Now cards like traffic delays or changes in your flight's departure time. If you turn on notifications, you can choose if you also want to hear a ringtone or vibration when you get your notification.
Katie is a Search expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.