How to search on Google
Learn a few tips and tricks to help you easily find information on Google.
Tip 1: Start with the basics
No matter what you're looking for, start with a simple search like
where's the closest airport?. You can always add a few descriptive words if necessary.
If you're looking for a place or product in a specific location, add the location. For example,
Tip 2: Search using your voice
Tired of typing? Say "Ok Google" or choose the microphone icon to search using your voice. Learn more about "Ok Google" and voice search.
Tip 3: Choose words carefully
When you're deciding what words to put in the search box, try to choose words that are likely to appear on the site you're looking for. For example, instead of saying
my head hurts, say
headache, because that’s the word a medical site would use.
Tip 4: Don’t worry about the little things
- Spelling. Google's spell checker automatically uses the most common spelling of a given word, whether or not you spell it correctly.
- Capitalization. A search for
New York Timesis the same as a search for
new york times.
Tip 5: Find quick answers
For many searches, Google will do the work for you and show an answer to your question in the search results. Some features, like information about sports teams, aren't available in all regions.
- Weather: Search
weatherto see the weather in your location or add a city name, like
weather seattle, to find weather for a certain place.
- Dictionary: Put
definein front of any word to see its definition.
- Calculations: Enter a math equation like
3*9123, or solve complex graphing equations.
- Unit conversions: Enter any conversion, like
3 dollars in euros.
- Sports: Search for the name of your team to see a schedule, game scores and more.
- Quick facts: Search for the name of a celebrity, location, movie, or song to find related information.
Expert Search tips
Want more tips and tricks to help you search like a pro? Check out the links below to learn more advanced search techniques.
Courtney is a Search expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.