/webmasters/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
302 Redirect from Blog
Hello all,

I have spent the last 3 months or so working through our site to bring it up to speed with current standards/user expectations. I'm making some headway (albeit very slow as I am not Einstein where web dev or design is concerned), but there are still issues I cannot seem to fix. And I am about to cry!

The latest issue that is troubling me is that my blog page has a 302 redirect on it.

From what I have been reading this is a temporary redirect which passes on no link juice to Google. Does that then mean the blog page and the blog posts are not visible to Google and will not help me rank?

I wrote to the webhost to see if I could find out why a 302 redirect was being applied to the blog page (I have no control over the htaccess file, only they do. Unfortunately this lack of control is a contributary factor to several of my website woes). I received a reply but this didn't provide me with the answer/solution I was hoping for:

"This is just a guess on my part, but we might be doing that because a blog page is unique in that it's actually served as a directory with other subpages in it; sort of a bandaid because of how pages work more generally. I'm not sure why we would use a 302 redirect for that instead of a 301 at least. It won't remove the redirect, though thing you could do is hide the blog page from your navigation and then add a new page using the external link option that just links directly to /blog so at least the navigation link on your site goes right to it."

I want to get your expert advice please before I start off on a fat mission of writing long-form content for the blog (I don't want to do that and then find out I have spent weeks of writing for no benefit if it doesn't show up for Google).

Why would a blog page need a redirect at all? Will this current setup of a 302 redirect hurt my ranking and nullify any efforts I make at on-page SEO? Or is it fine to just leave it as it is and carry on with my on-page efforts? Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Michael.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (1)
Relevant Answer
That seems fine. presumably blog.html is some old URL, and hence redirected to new location (/blog)

In fact maybe the server is just stripping the .html for you
https://www.reclaimdesign.org/blog/how-to-grow-a-flourishing-food-garden.html
is redirected too 

MAYBE, would be better as 301. (ie the URL is unlikely to change) - but it doesnt really MATTER. For most purposes 301 and 302 are interchangable. Clients (like Googlebot) have to deal with both, because frankly so many webmasters get it wrong! Google has to deal with 302s. 

As for why a redirect is there at all, effectively because of
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en

marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/webmasters/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic