/webmasters/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Software Application required schema tags
Hello,
I'm creating structured data for pages that describe our software applications. 
The Google documentation lists offer and reviews as required.

But the structured data markup helper does not even show these tags when SoftwareApplication is chosen.

And the Rich Text Results test shows a warning, but not an error, if they are missing.

This appears to be inconsistent. Can anyone explain?  Am I missing something?

And, if those two fields really are required, does that mean that the only way I can tag a page like the ones I'm working on is if I have reviews or ratings on the page?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Scott
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (13)
Relevant Answer
I'm creating structured data for pages that describe our software applications. 
The Google documentation lists offer and reviews as required. 
I see that these properties are required
Required properties 
offers.price
Rating or review
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
right, but the other Google tools not only don't require them, they don't even provide them.  So what is correct?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
right, but the other Google tools not only don't require them, they don't even provide them.  So what is correct? 
Structured Data Markup Helper
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
How to add structured data 
Structured data is a standardized format for providing information about a page and classifying the page content. If you're new to structured data, you can learn more about how structured data works.
Here's an overview of how to build, test, and release structured data. For a step-by-step guide on how to add structured data to a web page, check out the structured data codelab.
  1. Add the required properties. Based on the format you're using, learn where to insert structured data on the page.
  2. Follow the guidelines.
  3. Validate your code using the Rich Results Test.
  4. Deploy a few pages that include your structured data and use the URL Inspection tool to test how Google sees the page. Be sure that your page is accessible to Google and not blocked by a robots.txt file, the noindex tag, or login requirements. If the page looks okay, you can ask Google to recrawl your URLs.
  5. To keep Google informed of future changes, we recommend that you submit a sitemap. You can automate this with the Search Console Sitemap API.
Guidelines
You must follow these guidelines for your app to be eligible to appear as a rich result.
SoftwareApplication
The full definition of SoftwareApplication is available at schema.org/SoftwareApplication.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
There does seem to be some inconsistencies there. I've escalated the post.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you.
marked this as an answer
Frustrated musician. Will code for food.
Relevant Answer
Scott,

I'm checking with the team if this inconsistency is in the docs or in the RRT. 

Thanks for reporting that!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you.  Also with the Structured Data markup helper tool.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Yes, but, just to setup expectations here: the Structured Data Markup Helper is a bit outdated in relation not only to this but other Structured Data features that Google supports. I suspect it will take longer to get fixed.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you.  But it seems strange if the only software pages you can mark up would be those for which you have reviews. Totally leaves out new products,  and,  in our case,  reviews we link to and summarize that are maintained for us by capterra as an outsource instead of doing our own review coding and moderation.   All confusing.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello, Scott!

So, right now the documentation is correct and RRT is not: ratings or reviews are mandatory. Right now this inconsistency is still there, but I'll update this thread if/when that changes.

Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you.

Can I get some clarity about the "on page" requirement?  As I've mentioned, we use a third-party to administer our reviews, and we show a summary and a clear link to their page that has our reviews.

We are not "aggregating reviews from other sites".  This is our one and only review site.

Can we tag our rating aggregation?  For an example, please see savepostage.com/psinfo.html

We really want to follow the rules and do things as Google wishes, but we have to understand the rules to follow them.  Thanks for your help.

Scott
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hey!

I'm not 100% sure in the case of Software App. From what you're describing it seems like you're eligible, as long as you add all mandatory fields. Normally you are not eligible to Rich Results that review your own company, but I think (don't quote me on that) that for the products, like you're software, you're fine.

There is a little bit more detail in the blog post here.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/webmasters/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic