/webmasters/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Keywords shows in Google search console but site does not appears in Search Results
Hello Webmasters.

When I check the Google Search Console performance tab for my site badmintonbuys.com, it is showing a keyword "badminton racket review" ranking in 61 positions in the United States. But when I manually search for the keyword in Google's search results page, it is not shown even in the top 400 results. Why is my site not ranking and GSC displaying false reports?

Please make me clear with your insights and valuable knowledge. Thanks in advance.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (8)
Relevant Answer
Hello Nikolaj Antonov,

you are right, the exact phrase might not appear on the homepage but Google is supposed to be intelligent right? I don't say that but plenty of articles online state that now it is intelligent enough to consider such phrases. Is it a lie? Can Google not understand surrounding phrases by judging the words present in the content? Is it necessary to keep the exact phrase on the content?

Plus, if the phrase is not found on my homepage, then why is Google Search Console displaying the phrase under my performance tab? Is that a false reporting or any kind of glitch from the Google side? Asking just out of curiosity.

Also, there is the word "Review". Now, if I add "Reviews" - plural form, will google automatically consider the singular form of the phrase, or is it compulsory to add both versions of the phrase in the content?

Thanks for your reply.
marked this as an answer
I had an AltaVista email address
Relevant Answer
Please read about the definition of "thin affiliate" here.
There is little reason for Google to crawl or index sites like this unless they provide a truly valuable experience that adds substantial value to the consumer over that found on the e-commerce sites themselves.

Also note that there has been a recent algorithm adjustment to specifically target thin affiliates, you can read more about it here.

"When you have people seeking out your site to read the reviews, rather than chasing keywords, you know you are on the right path." c/o @dwsmart

An example of a very effective successful site that sustains itself from affiliate revenue is Ken Rockwell.

Thin affiliate sites usually consist of:
  • reviews which appear to have simply been re-written based on information found elsewhere
  • there is no evidence that the author ever used the product themselves
  • re-use product photography found elsewhere
  • the site exists solely for the affiliate link with no regard to providing better content than that found elsewhere
  • there is usually no effort to create a loyal audience
  • overly dependent upon search engines to drive traffic
Successful affiliate sites usually:
  • write original reviews or how-tos based on hands-on experience
  • contain valuable content and/or feedback not found elsewhere
  • include original photography
  • are a valued destination for the target audience 
  • receive traffic from diverse sources, direct, referring domain and organic search
A new site may not be popular or valued by the audience immediately but there is no excuse not to have that as a long term objective

A new site can certainly be valuable, contain original photography and include actual information only available through hands-on product usage. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you everybody for explaining everything you know. As far as OptimistPrime wrote about the originality of the content, the pages ranking on top of Google for the main keyword are doing the same thing as:
  • reviews which appear to have simply been re-written based on information found elsewhere
  • there is no evidence that the author ever used the product themselves
  • re-use product photography found elsewhere
  • the site exists solely for the affiliate link with no regard to providing better content than that found elsewhere
So, upon doing manual research on top ranking pages on google search results for not just this one keyword but multiple surrounding keywords, I found that the top-ranking sites are doing exactly the things mentioned in the above four points. I don't know how they are still ranking because those #1 ranking sites are doing the same thing as every other site owner is doing.

There's no difference in the content of the site ranking on the first page of Google and the tenth page of Google. The sentences have almost the same meaning but are presented in a different way. They don't even have proofs that they've used the product. Plus, most of their reviews are modified from the reviews found on the world's top e-commerce site (I'm not gonna mention their names). 

So, I believe that Mr. OptimisticPrime could be slightly wrong here based on my findings, manual research of the top 10 pages, and the fact that those sites are doing the same thing that he told us to avoid. I don't know if his statements are lies or the site owners have found a way to bypass or trick the Google algorithm. But I still like the fact he encourages us to use original content, which in fact everybody should do.

Now, before leaving, I have two more questions. First, how does Google finds the content is modified or original (text-based content)? I get it that there're plenty of image recognition technologies developed. But how do they do it with text-based content?

Secondly, I run not just one site but multiple sites, and the last updated time for this site mentioned in the question is "59 hours ago" inside the "Performance" tab of Google Search Console. On the other hand, some of my other sites have different times shown such as "4 hours ago" and some other lesser times, probably less than 24 hours ago. Why is this difference in updating the search performance results of various sites?

And at the end, thank you Nikolaj and everybody for sharing your opinions. This was a healthy discussion that blew off my mind.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Waiting for your reply.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/webmasters/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic