/webmasters/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Why Mobile Friendly Test shows "Page partially loaded"?
Hello everyone.

I am trying to understand why the Mobile Friendly test shows me that a page is "Mobile Friendly", but it was unable to load many resources ("Page partially loaded"). That happens with hundreds of similar pages on my site.

Try yourself from the page below:

With this URL of mine:

You'll see showing up "Page is mobile friendly", but there'll be a warning yellow triangle at the top-left saying "Page loading issues" and if you click on the "VIEW DETAILS" link, it'll show you a number of URLs that the tool was unable to load. Why's that?

Any ideas are very welcome. Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Fab.
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (6)
Relevant Answer

"Other Error" (or "Temporarily unreachable" in Fetch as Google) is generally a euphemism for "Not Enough Fetch Quota Available" in my experience. 

... Google has a quota per site, for the number of requests its WILLING to make to the particular server. Partly to avoid an accidental DOS (ie if Google made requests without restraint it could quickly overwhelm most servers, Google has more servers than most sites!), but also as a 'resource sharing' system, to avoid devoting too much bandwidth to any particular site, and then not being able to index other sites. 
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2017/01/what-crawl-budget-means-for-googlebot.html
So some requests 'fail' because Google proactively aborted the request - without contacting the server - because it WOULD potentially push it over quota

This quota is 'used' up by Googlebot making normal crawl activity, and when use the various testing tools. So the amount of quota available at any moment will vary a lot - depending on recent activity.  ... which ones happen to succeed and which ones blocked in any particular 'attempt' is effectively random. 

So the quota value is selected by Google; can't make Google allocate more resources to crawling your site (other than making haven't already manually restricted it in Site settings!) 

... but 1) can check if Google is generally wasting crawl quota, crawling 'useless' pages (or resources); pruning nonessential stuff, would allow more crawling of the 'good' stuff. 

and 2) see if can make pages more efficient, and use LESS resources. Less resources wont exhaust the quota as quick!

finally 3) if the failures are causing intermittent 'fails' in the test, its because the page doesnt cope well with missing resources. (e.g. there is 'critical' CSS in a skipped file), so maybe can rework the page to work despite not having all resources loaded. E.g. inline the very critical CSS into the main page, so doesnt matter if the 'full' css file is missed. 

Note 'Other Error' CAN also be caused by issues with the hosting server, connection timeouts, 503 http status etc, but in general I think the above explanation is most likely. Just don't rule out issues with origin server based on my description above. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks, Barry for your fast reply, but I thought that the "quota" reason wasn't applicable to standalone mobile-friendly, manually-initiated tests.

Also, it looks like most of those issues are related to URLs on our CDN network (delivered via Amazon Cloudfront). I have tested another page with different URLs, loading from our own server, and those issues are not present. Why would the tool have issues with content delivered via a CDN network?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks Barry, if you say so, I trust you! But that's bad, really bad... fact is, if I perform the test with the above page which loads the images from the CDN, the mobile-friendly test pass but the render is wrong... but if I perform the same test with a copy of that page which loads the same images from our own server, the mobile-friendly test DO NOT pass and the render is correct!

Try this page:

It renders well, but the mobile-friendly test DO NOT pass!

Therefore, if there are important resources missed (which appears to appear mostly for contents loaded from our CDN), the test pass (which is misleading!)... but if the content is almost completely loaded correctly, and the page renders almost completely, the test doesn't pass, which makes the tool completely unreliable and untrustworthy!

Your thoughts on that? How to overcome this problem?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thank you Barry for confirming that, I guess we have to play with it until we have a good idea of the problem (if any). Thanks again!
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/webmasters/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic