/webmasters/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
New Clickable Elements warning when nothing has changed!
I've started getting warnings when nothing has changed... and I cannot see what the problem is.

My URL is www.poulson.info 

No clickable elements are close together, and no content is wider than the screen.  No page can be scrolled side to side, unlike many I see.

"Coincidentally' my ranking has dropped significantly since this 'problem' started.

As you will see in the attachment, the website worked fine.  It hasn't changed!!!

I'd appreciate any help, but in simple language please as I'm not at all technical.

Thanks!

Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (10)
Relevant Answer
Hi Ian

If you click on that first Error line (for more detail), which specific URL on your site is reported as failing?

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi John,
This is what I get, see screenshot.  I've checked on my Blocs app and there's nothing in the design of any page which I can find which exceeds the screen width.
BTW, how long should 'validation' take?
Cheers,
Ian

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Ian

OK, so what's happening here I think, is this image...

Is driving the content too wide (you'll need to check the others too).

The mobile bot tests at around 380px width and this image is 644px.  While your .img-fluid CSS class does specify a max-width: 100% you've neglected to specify a width:100% too.

To explain, there is a CSS oddity, where if you use max-width: 100% with no width defined,  the image ultimately defines the container size (in this case 644px).  So the bot then increases the viewport to match the image and you get "content wider".  All the other stuff is then artificially too small.

If you add width:100% in addition, you should remove the issue.

Hope this helps.

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks John, I really appreciate your time!
I've made the only change I can think of (being a novice) which is to add "Max: 100%" in the Class Editor.
Has this done the trick?  I added the word "Google" (arrowed) to the edited page to differentiate it.
If it has worked, how do I spot issues with other content? Or would I simply repeat what I did here?
Thanks again 👍

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
No Ian

The class is called .img-fluid  I guess it's used on all your images.

EDIT: What happens if you type img-fluid in the top box?
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I have no such class...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I beg to differ...

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is beyond me John - I’ve copied in Norm who created the Blocs app as I’m sure he can see what’s happening. 

Is there a way to ‘scan’ my website for oversized images?

Did my Max:100% change work?

🤞
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
"Did my Max:100% change work?"
No. Sorry.

On the image front, as long as .img-fluid has width: 100%;  all should be good (sitewide).

"Is there a way to ‘scan’ my website for oversized images?"
Technically, if we are talking 'best practice' you should serve your images 'responsively'.  

What that means is that the website software detects the size of the user's viewport and then, from a number of different presized options, serves the correct one.  In HTML5 the command is <picture> or in CSS @media. If you do that, then you are never trying to get a large picture (say for a desktop) onto a small mobile (which uses a ton of unnecessary bandwidth). In this case, given your not really into this whole web nonsense (!), I'd go with trying to fix the images to have a width: 100%; ;-)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks again… I’ll go on radio silence for a bit to see if the aforementioned Norm can chip in… this is beyond my ken and I do to want to waste any more of your time!
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/webmasters/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic