/webmasters/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
Search Advocate, Google Switzerland
Your feedback on titles shown in search results
We recently wrote about an update to the algorithms that we use to select titles for search results. The blog posts includes various details on how we generate these titles, why we have such systems, and how HTML from the page itself is taken into account. 

We'd love to get your feedback on how this is working for your website, or for a page that you ran across in your day-to-day usage of Google Search. To make it a bit easier, feel free to add your feedback as a reply to this post. Your feedback here helps us to improve our systems, helping to make Google Search easier for everyone, and is always very welcome. 

If you'd like to give us examples, please include the URL of the page, the title shown, the device type used (was it on a mobile phone or a laptop?), and any feedback you have on that title. If you can, including a screenshot makes it easier to recognize too. 

If you have general feedback about the search results, not specific to the titles shown, please use the feedback link directly in the search results, or, if it's about your website, feel free to start a thread here :). 

Thanks!
John Mueller, Search Advocate at Google
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (127)
Relevant Answer
Its not picking right title for my website and from the recent update even my client side rendering not working properly google using my website url to redirect to renderton url.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello, the latest change to titles is not properly representing the 'brand attribute' of the title. You are appending - AAA Northern California regardless of the location of the search. This business operates in multiples states outside of the Northern California region. CTR has dropped significantly in these instances.  Thank you. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Dan Barker wrote a thread about Flu searches in the UK
https://twitter.com/danbarker/status/1430555303586803716

Desktop Chrome in Germany shows similar but also shows the CDC isn't rewritten

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Wikipedia page titles in several language editions now have two hyphens, e.g. “Test - – Wikipedia”. One example screenshot is attached, I’ve posted some more details (e.g. affected and unaffected domains) on Twitter and on Phabricator (Wikimedia’s bugtracker). I assume it’s due to the announced change in Google Search, I’m not aware of any relevant recent changes on Wikimedia’s side.

For the screenshot:
  • URL: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test
  • title shown: Test - – Wikipedia
  • device type: desktop
  • any feedback: there shouldn’t be two hyphens :) personally I don’t care if it’s the hyphen-minus or the em dash, though I can’t guarantee that other Wikimedians won’t have stronger opinions on this ;)
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer

Not working properly, Google rewrite title kill the Journalism and Editorial policies.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hello John,

i have moving company, and my city title changed :( last week i lost traffic my all keyword droped i have position 3 to 10 :( is really not good :(

my old title Montreal Movers - Moving Company Montreal - MovinGo

my new title 
Montreal Movers MovinGo, Your Family Moving Company

i can back old title ? :(

what i can now please tell me :(

thanks you.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
In our case, Google rewrites the title for mysynchrony.com to “Synchrony Bank”, if someone searches “synchrony bank”. This is not in the Meta title or header tags of the page. 

The concern is that we actually own synchronybank.com as well, which is our online banking entity, so we feel many users may get confused if they click on this result. 
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi John
Yes, we've noticed the changes. Google has been replacing nearly all title tags with H1s and in a few cases, even H2s

Example #1
1st result - currently displays H2 -> Title is "Free Online Notepad with ClickUp"
2nd result - currently displays H1 -> Title is "Automations in ClickUp"
3rd result - currently displays H1-> Title is "ClickUp Views"

In some cases what Google picks is ok, but in many cases, the title that is served does NOT match the user intent.

Example #2

This example chooses the H1 tag. The title tag, which is more suited for users, is "Trello vs Asana vs ClickUp". This Title is more appropriate for the user's query.

Example #3

Clearly, ClickUp's CTR will be much less compared to Zepel and Bossbabe because Google has chosen the H1 tag. The H1 doesn't match the query and creates an unintentional bias in the results.

Takeaways:
The ambiguous nature of how Googlebot chooses to display titles will incentivize webmasters to avoid creating variations between Title, H1 and H2 tags. This would lead to stilted page reading experience for users.

Thanks!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Right after the update I unexpectedly lost 20% of the traffic from top ranking snippets.

Instead of showing relevant content and Snippets from my website, Google selects outdated and non-structured content from other websites.

This was very unexpected and haven't seen this kind of drop in our traffic in last 3 - 4 months
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Your feedback is being taken into account. Check our last update on this here:

marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/webmasters/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic