Take the course
3.1 Set up your Search Console account
You’ll need to verify your site in Search Console for us to show you data we’ve aggregated, such as search terms your site shows up for in Google Search, how it ranks on those terms, and how many users are clicking on your site's listing. We'll also let you know if we notice issues with your site, such as malware, hacking, or violations of our Webmaster Guidelines. We require verification because we want to make sure we’re giving important and private information to the actual site owner.
How to set up your Search Console account
- Sign in to Search Console with your Google account. If you don’t have a Google account, you’ll need to create one.
- Once you sign in, click on add a site.
- Verify that you’re the owner of the site by doing one of the following:
- Upload a file to your server
- Add a meta tag to your website’s HTML
- Add a new DNS record
- Use your Google Analytics or Google Tag Manager account
We might not have data ready for you to look at right after you verify your site, so check back after a few days. If you’re having trouble, read this Site verification Help Center article for more detailed instructions.
Watch this introduction video to Search Console: