A new version of Google Web Designer is available! 6 new feature areas have been implemented, and 92 issues have been fixed as part of this release. Read below for additional details.
Auto update (Internet connection required)
If you have a previous version of Google Web Designer, it will be automatically updated to the latest version.
New features since version 1.7.3.0307
The Ad Validator automatically checks for common issues with your ad. See the results in a panel as you're building your ad, and also when publishing.
Redesigned Template Gallery
The Template Gallery now offers a reorganized view of available templates.
You can now set general and Design view preferences in the Preferences dialog:
- General - Choose to open your most recent document at launch, set the default ad type and environment for new files, and specify your custom template path. (Note: Only documents saved specifically as templates can be used as custom templates.)
- Design view - Configure defaults for object outlines, snap settings, and whether rulers and the 3D grid are visible.
Flexible panel layout
Dock panels on either the left or right side of the window, and move the timeline to the top or bottom. You can also close panels entirely if you don't want them to take up space (and open them again using the new Window menu).
Reorganized Components panel
Components are now grouped under folders to make them easier to find.
You'll see more improvements to the timeline:
- Edit an element at multiple keyframes.
- Copy and paste a keyframe, even between different layers, pages, or documents.
- Select keyframes using rectangular marquee selection.
- Edit easing for multiple spans.
- Duplicate layers, including all keyframes.
- Animation previews can be paused and started from the playhead position or current thumbnail.
Fixes and improvements since version 1.7.3.0307
- [Code selection] Selected element in a group is not highlighted in Code view when switching from Design view
- [Code selection] Wrong div class is selected in the duplicated page
- Focus does not stay in Code view after including JS library
- File > menu cut is not working in Code view
- [GreenSock] Rearrange the menu items so the most used plugins show at the top
- The Edit menu is showing wrong shortcut for Find/Replace on Mac.
- [Video] Autoplay doesn't work in HTML with pages
- YouTube video still plays after creative collapses
- [Dynamic] [Preview] Select a feed by default when previewing a dynamic file
- [Dynamic] Update DoubleClick exit handling code to support product click tracking for Dynamic in DoubleClick Bid Manager
- [Feature Request] Selecting multiple events for bulk removal
- Don't allow exit or exitOverride actions for Touch events as scrolling can cause exit on the mobile device
- Exit ad and exit ad override action should only be available for mouse click and Tap area click/tap events
- Incorrect action label for Video & YouTube components (play instead of play after pause)
- Filter out the events that are not useful for users under Page Deck
- Event page prefixes should display names not IDs
- Document is not marked as needing to be serialized/dirty when undoing/redoing an add event operation
- Problem with opening, saving and closing a HTML file that has an image tag with id=head in layer.
- Closing HTML documents with a text file open throws errors
- [Feature Request] Easy way to share source files with others by providing save as zip functionality
- [Gradient Editing] The center point of radial gradient in the published file should match with the gradient on stage after positioned it
- Gradient is not working when setting border gradient first and then changing the size of the border
- A CSS background with multiple radiants is not published
- A radial gradient fails when the position of a color stop is missing or in pixels
- [Feature Request] Add UI to refresh assets in the library
- New folder name (untitled) is localized and not usable
- File > Publish menu is disabled for the non-Google ad file
- Release notes in Help menu should go to the most current release notes
- Error when hitting Escape key to close the menu
- Menu remains open when clicking or typing in Code view
- Main menu dropdown and Style dropdown won't get dismissed while in the Text tool
- Keyboard shortcuts in the main menu for Zoom in and Zoom out are not aligned
- Error is thrown when deleting the hex value from the color popup in the Properties panel
- Undo typing value in Fill color in Properties panel is not working properly
- [Feature Request] Add basic arithmetic ability to input fields
- Undo doesn't work for dropdown in the Properties panel
- Templates not loaded on the Mac after relaunch
- [Feature Request] Allow the location of custom templates to be configurable in the preferences
- Save as template: need an option to overwrite with the same name
- Save as template discards timeline mode
- Merchant name in Dynamic in DoubleClick Bid Manager Logoless Minimal template should be left-aligned
- MDE templates should be labeled as "Multi Directional Expanding"
- VPAID Templates - Reduce background asset file size
- GDN Lightbox Templates Video + Map are missing exit event on logo
- Text will change font size to 32px by itself when changing the size the second time
- Bullet and ordered list buttons can be selected at the same time
- Not able to change font size in Text edit mode when manually entering the value in the Size box on options bar
- Text does not get updated on stage after changing the text color in thumbnail/keyframe
- When scrolling the stage, the black resize dots do not move along with the text box until scrolling is stopped
- Copying and pasting a hex color code in the Color box will paste into the text box instead when Text is selected
- [Feature Request] Added support for editing easing for all selected spans at once
- [Feature Request] Keyframes animation should be included when duplicating a layer with animation
- [Feature Request] Timeline Preview improvements: previews can be paused and started from the playhead position or current thumbnail
- [Feature Request] Support marquee selection of multiple keyframes
- [Feature Request] Ability to edit multiple keyframes for the same element all at once
- [Feature Request] Add "Delete" and "Rename" in the layer context menu
- Incorrect undo steps after using F6 to insert keyframe
- After changing the layer order, keyframe selection gets lost
- Selecting 2 adjacent keyframes doesn't select the span between them with Cmd/Ctrl + click
- [Usability] Disabled easing in context menu when there is no animation is confusing
- The position of the element after removing all the keyframes is incorrect
- Timeline panel should bring focus to the respective layer by scrolling when an object is selected on the stage
- [Timeline Zoom] When creating a new file or opening a file, the zoom level is at default but it won't show the background yellow slider
- [Usability] [Keyframe selection] Can't select a keyframe right next to another keyframe
- Undoing removing keyframe (1st keyframe) returns a reset translate value
- Keyframe selections should be cleared after right-clicking is used on a span in the same track
- [Timeline scrubbing] Animation appears wrong with border size change when scrubbing timeline
- Undoing from Quick Mode doesn't remove the added keyframe right away
- [Feature Request] Add a paste option "Paste element only" and make the paste with animation by default if there is animation
- [Advanced mode] Wrong alert message when editing the layer name and adding invalid character (e.g., exclamation point) to the end of the ID name
- [Usability] Can't drag or move an element when above layers are locked
- [Feature Request] Show hand cursor when hovering over animations that have been selected to show that they can be moved around the timeline
Workspace (panels and UI)
- Missing tooltip for the add button (+) in the Components panel, Events panel, and Dynamic panel
- Publish and Preview UI are not grayed out when there is no file open and throw errors when selected
- [Panel behaviors] There is a stumbling motion when expanding a tab when multiple tabs are in a panel
- [Panel allocation] Having transition causes a little jarring effect when a panel gets allocated into a minimum space
- [Publish UI] Environment is Google Ad instead of showing the specific environment
- [Feature Request] Mouse over the document tab should display the file name
- Element preview (Quick mode thumbnail, Save As Template preview, and library preview) only rendered up to 5 nested elements
- Scrollbar is hard to use
- [Color] Tooltip not available for the selected color selector
- [SVG] Unable to open a file that contains SVG tags
- [Groups] Duplicating groups results in non-unique Timeline event names
- [Video tag] Undoing the name in the Sources field is not working
- [Video tag] Undoing the Preload property is not working
- [Import] [Feature Request] Importing or dragging the same file on stage with the same name should not make a duplicate in the assets folder
- Incorrect position when dragging and dropping image and video assets on a zoomed stage
- [Media Rules] Automatically switch to selection tool when using viewport resizing tool
- [Media Rules] The viewport resize tool remained visible on stage after resetting the stage using Hand tool
- [Zoom] Incorrect marquee zooming in Top and Side view
- [Publish to Studio] User with multiple advertisers in their Advertiser Level only account will get an error when selecting an Advertiser
- [Publish to Studio] Cannot create new Advertiser in the Publish to Studio dialog
- Upon the first launch after this update, there is a delay opening files while the templates are being loaded.
- Language switch selection does not persist if Google Web Designer is quit immediately after selecting a language. Workaround: select a language, wait for a minute or two, then quit and launch Google Web Designer again.
- Library: folder in the library is not working if the file path contains high ASCII or double-byte characters.
- Mac Sierra only: Google Web Designer launches in English when the locale is set to Simplified or Traditional Chinese. Workaround: switch to the correct language in Google Web Designer in the Start screen or in Help > Set language menu.
- A maximum of 4 panels can be grouped/tabbed together.
- Video component on iOS doesn't play a video multiple times if the source .mp4 file is the unique source. Workaround: include in the sources at least 2 video files. (It can be the same one repeated.) It's crucial that the .mp4 is not the last video listed in the sources if other formats are used. Valid options are therefore:
- 1.mp4, 1.ogv, 1.webm
- 1.mp4, 1.mp4
- 1.webm, 1.mp4, 1.ogv
- White screen on launch if behind a web proxy. Please follow these instructions to change your proxy settings.
- Mac Chrome, Opera, IE: Play button doesn't work in Google Web Designer Preview when Autoplay preview is on. Workaround: remove localhost from the URL to use
- Linux only: file drag and drop from the file system to Google Web Designer is not working. Workaround: use File > Import assets or Add asset from the Library.
- Downloading iCalendar .ics files is not supported on Safari desktop browser.
- It is not possible to have more than one Map component or Street View component, or a Map and a Street View component in the same creative.
- Linux only: if the browser (Chrome or Firefox) is launched by Google Web Designer for preview, Google Web Designer cannot be closed unless the browser is closed first.
- Linux only: Google Web Designer sometimes loses focus and is unable to take keyboard input when switching between apps. Workaround: resize the Google Web Designer window to bring focus back to the app.