A new version of Google Web Designer is available! Nine new features have been implemented, 37 templates have been added, and 68 issues have been fixed as part of this release. Read below for additional details.
Auto Update (Internet connection required)
If you have a previous version of Google Web Designer, it will be automatically updated to the latest version.
New features since version 1.3.2.0521
Fullscreen Ad support
Google Web Designer now lets you create ads that expand to the full size of the device the ad is running on. Rather than create an ad with a specific publish size, you can choose “Match Viewport” to size a banner ad to fit different mobile screens, or choose a fullscreen lightbox expansion for expandable ads.
Support for additional dynamic ad schemas
Google Web Designer now supports a growing list of data schemas for dynamic ads, including AdWords App promo and dynamic remarketing verticals.
Percent for position and size
Elements and their parent containers now can be sized using percentages instead of pixels. This lets you create elastic and fluid layouts that can adjust their spacing as the screen dimensions adjust.
Users can now easily replace an existing image on stage with another image using Swap Image from the context menu. Users who start with templates can now quickly swap out placeholder images for a streamlined ad creation process.
Using the Tilt event, ads created with Google Web Designer can trigger animations and other events using the motion of the mobile device that’s displaying the ad.
Updated AdMob support
The Admob environment has been added in the New File dialog along with default ad sizes that are supported in AdMob.
Updated Color panel
The color panel has been updated to have a larger color mixer and to enable users to save color swatches per document.
Updated Tap to Call to include text (SMS)
Users can now create ads that send text messages by using the updated Tap to Call component.
Wrapping is a simple way to join together a set of elements, and manipulate them as a block.
The new version of Google Web Designer also includes a new set of templates to support Dynamic ads.
Fixes & Improvements since version 1.4.0.0826
- Page Attached/Detached events are no longer being fired when page is shown or hidden. In 1.4.1 build: page attached/detached now works but deprecated. Page activated and Page deactivated events are introduced in 1.4.1 and should be used instead.
Page events changes in version 1.4.1
When transitioning from a page to another (for example, from page A to page B), GWD no longer detaches A, but simply hides it and fires a page deactivated event on A. It then attaches B if B is not already in the DOM. If it is already in the DOM and hidden, GWD shows B, then fires the Page activated event and executes the animations related to B.
For the time being we will keep dispatching Attached and Detached events every time we display a page (Attached) and every time we hide a page (Detached). This last behavior will be removed in the future releases, so we recommend that you do not rely on Attached and Detached to track page changes. Please use the new events Page activated and Page deactivated instead.
In the future, a page will report an Attached event at a bootstrap time, followed by a Detached event (at the beginning, when nothing is actually visible). After that, a page should dispatch an Attached event only the first time is added to the DOM and detached event should be longer dispatch.
The sequence of events should be:
Attached (ALL) - Detached (ALL) - Attached (First Page) - Page Activated (First Page) - *TRANSITION ANIMATION IF ANY* - (Ready to present) - *ALL THE PAGE TIMELINE RELATED ANIMATION*
If custom code is used to add or remove pages from the DOM for whatever reason, Attached and Detached events will be dispatched accordingly.
Fixes & Improvements since version 1.3.2.0521
Components and Runtime
- [Image Button] Scaling setting is not added to the code even the default Scaling option is showing "Crop image to fill"
- [Image Button] Left and Top values are not being updated when moving the Image Button Component after adding it to the stage
- [Image Button] Color animation does not work on Image Button component when preview in browser
- [ImageButton]: Set Images method parameters not working for local file path while preview / publish
- [YouTube] autoplay="intro" doesn't take preview-duration into account
- [YouTube] Player doesn't properly mute/unMute after autoplay preview or page refresh
- [YouTube] Using display:none on YTP switching it to display:block via taparea doesn't allow video to play
- [YouTube] multiple YouTube players are added in some cases, such as YouTube player in groups inside of swipe galleries
- [YouTube] Fullscreen issue on Firefox
- [Map] Pinclick event must include location
- [Map][Add to Calendar]: Unable to click on Map result marker on browser preview if Both Add to Calendar and Map is present on same page
- Carousel and Gallery support for video and other elements
- [Carousel Gallery] The top margin of the frame won't be adjusted properly even you set "0" as Neighbor height
- [Galleries] Cannot save to different folder if document has gwd-video or image gallery components with sources separated by spaces
- [Galleries][Gallery Navigation][Swipable Gallery] Interrupting autoplay using navigation causes glitch
- [Galleries][Navigation Component][360 Gallery] Dot highlight doesn't advance to the targeted frame with "autoplay" option
- [ Expandable ] Background color is not visible when adding element animation first then adding background color to page
- [Custom Component] Error on upload when compressing files instead of a folder
- InApp creative issue with video: not playing properly upon entering fullscreen state
- Change the way styles are set for dynamic text so that the changes applied directly to the text (not to the container) will be preserved and applied to dynamic text.
- Group field won't get updated correctly when editing it after renaming the group name in Assets Library
- After breaking apart of a group, the element's layer order gets reversed.
- Swipable gallery groups get selected when group attribute is changed.
- Swipable gallery component allows invalid group names.
- Archiving loses position of nested instance
- [Gallery] [Groups] Image groups are not displayed in preview after the gallery components are copied and pasted.
- [Events Panel] [Groups] Events for "Selection" does not show the events set in an element in a group when the group contained the element with event or the element with the event is selected
- [Groups] [Galleries] Metric events are not added for the components inside a group in the image galleries because of missing group ID
- Image source in the code is not updated when moving asset to the folder or vice versa
- "Uncaught URIError: URI malformed" error appears when trying to import the file name contains special characters and Add Asset becomes unusable after this
- Unable to open a folder in Local Tab in the localized builds
- Editable state triggers in the asset's type/date when selecting rename from the context menu
- Unable to delete when the folder and its asset are selected
- Search is broken when switching between documents
- Groups date displayed wrong in Asset Library
- Performance improvements when working in files with many elements
- Text edit attributes remaining in code after undoing
- New CSS class is not added to span when there are multiple spans with the same CSS class and therefore changes are ignored
- Text Span Font Size Bug: changes are ignored when editing on the text container
- Span is inserted when all text is selected and applied styles
- Timeline "Pause" event stops working after saving the file and re-opening.
- Scrubber stuck on mouse down when releasing the mouse cursor over a stage scrollbar
- [Web font] Change google fonts url in GWD doc to be SSL-compliant
- Error in butter bar when giving a template file name starting with the same characters of a file that is currently open
- Ruler font is hard to read
- Drawing a rectangle or oval shape with 1px width or height throws errors on console and can't add keyframes afterward
- Unable to enable width of canvas after disabling from CSS
- Broken shape on the stage when changing width and height to the certain point
- Single Interstitial file creates two pages If created after creating a Dual Interstitial File
- Copy/Paste/Cut menu items do not work in Code View
- [New file dialog] UI strings change for Generic ads to Non-Google Ad
- [Menus] "Save as template" and "Publish" menus are disabled by switching to the code view.
- When switching Language to French or Espanol, canvas is not working correctly
- [Stage] [Alignment] Even/Odd alignment position bug
- Text will be highlighted in pink dots (spell checked) when clicking or entering in the text box in Properties panel
- [HTML] Encoding declaration must be the first item of the head
- Add ability to choose any border color in the Publish dialog
- [File IO]: Js and CSS files are missing on reopening a file after deleting a component and closing it without saving
- [SVG] The source path in the PI change to "blob:http%..." after double-clicking on the SVG image
- Expanding: Default Component Naming Bug: expand-button and close-button ID/layer name cannot be modified
- Copy/Paste a div creates an extra class
- A document's version number is not updated to the latest version upon successful load
- Selection tool fails to move elements when the stage is rotated
- Preview is not shown with new "style tag"
- Video Component on iOS doesn't play a video multiple time if the source file .mp4 is the unique source. Workaround: include in the sources at least 2 video files. (it can be the same one repeated). Is CRUCIAL that the .mp4 is not the last video listed in the sources. Valid options are therefore:
- 1.mp4, 1.ogv, 1.webm
- 1.mp4, 1.mp4
- 1.webm, 1.mp4, 1.ogv
- Intermittent: Offline mode is not working on Mac and Linux. Workaround: connect to the internet to launch GWD.
- White screen on launch if behind a web proxy. Please follow these instructions to change your proxy settings
- Mac Chrome, Opera, IE : Play button is not working in GWD Preview when Autoplay preview is on. Workaround: remove localhost from the URL to use
- Editing an SVG element in a group, or making a group that contains an edited SVG element is not fully supported and it may cause issues
- Linux only: File drag and drop from the file system to Google Web Designer is not working. Workaround: use File > Import assets or Add asset from the Library
- Downloading iCalendar ics file is not supported on Safari desktop browser.